KLEIN Adroit Attitude Repaint / Repair

Betty Barker

Devout Dirtbag
Some of you followed my other threat describing steps of repainting a Klein.

I would like to invite those who are interestet in Klein paint schemes to a colourful trip trough some more painting steps.

It was a pleassure to meet some of you at my office and during Klein meetings. For those who dont know who I am I like to introduce myself.

I am a german designer and artist. Since I was 13 I painted pictures mostly using an airbrush. I studied communications design and did also a lot of custompainting. In 2007 I established a desing company specialized in bike design and custompainting.

During my spare time I like to play around with colour and I do also some flashy resprays of old bikes. I like to start with the last project shown. It`s a Klein Adroit frame set in Team Storck paint scheme I like to turn in to a backfire.

At first the frame:
An Adroit in Team Storck but in bad condition and wrong colour on the top tube and the purple part on the frame.
Someone tried to repaint this frame but not in the original way.

adroit_backfire_before_72.jpg

Klein_Adroit_Boron_Carbon_ETOE_2_72.jpg

Klein_Adroit_Boron_Carbon_ETOE_1_72.jpg

After stripping the colour with active oxygen a bad dent at the downtube appeared.

Klein_Adroit_Boron_Carbon_ETOE_3_72.jpg

I had to remove the polyester filler and reshape the dent a bit. After reshaping i filled the rest of the dent with some liquid aluminum.

Klein_Adroit_Dent_ETOE_72.jpg

Klein_Adroit_Dent1_ETOE_72.jpg

The MC1 needed also some love before getting new colour. Someone clamped the barends a bit to hard and the result are 2 dents in the MC1.
To reshape the MC1 I used a soft wood stick. It`s better than using a steel bar or something else because if the stick is to hard you can easy ruin the MC1. I hammered it a bit in and so the dents came out a bit.

MC1_Dent_ETOE1_72.jpg

MC1_Dent_ETOE2_72.jpg

The result is a not new but better shaped MC1.

MC1_Dent_ETOE3_72.jpg

After primer and some base colours we need some decals on the frame. I use a test tube to show the procedure of spraying decals by hand.

From left ro right: some primered and prepared forks on top the strata; an old MC1 and the new painted yellow one; a test tube; some screen printed decals and some colour.

The MC1 is refinished but the decal is missing. To get the decal on the frame you can use two ways. You have the screen printed decal to apply on the frame or in case you have no decal you can spray on the decal direct on the MC1.

Using the test tube I like to show you the application.

Klein_Strata_ETOE1_72.jpg

At first I cut out a stencil to mask the tube.

Klein_Adroit_Backfire_Tube1_ETOE_72.jpg

After masking the tube I spray on some layers of white. Its only needed for the outlines but normal to print or spray the complete letters.

Klein_Adroit_Backfire_Tube11_ETOE_72.jpg

The result after demasking is a white logo.

Klein_Adroit_Backfire_Tube2_ETOE_72.jpg

Now I need the black inlays.
The procedure is the same but instead of spraying white I use black and some thiner letters in the masking tape.

Klein_Adroit_Backfire_Tube3_ETOE_72.jpg

Let`s have a closer look at the result. Now I have an even logo on the tube . The last step is a layer of clear coat which I will apply later on when I spray the frameset and some other parts.

Klein_Adroit_Backfire_Tube4_ETOE_72.jpg

After the successful logo application on the test tube I have to do the same steps on the frame. But before I have to spray on the 3-tone fade and a layer of inter coat. After the preparation I can spray on the logos in the same way I have done on the test tube. To get the right measurements I use an old original Adroit painted in backfire.

Klein_Adroit_Backfire_ETOE_logospray1_72.jpg

Klein_Adroit_Backfire_ETOE_logospray2_72.jpg

1. using an original frame to get right measurements of the logos
2. apply the stencil for the white letters and spray on the white colour
3. remove the stencil
4. apply the black stencil an spray black colour
5. remove black stencil
6. sprayed logos on the frame

Wow, haven't we done this anal Klein shite to death yet?

Lets have a competition as to who can do the most pointless and needlessly overkill interpretation of a paint-job that the original company knocked off in minutes. Winner gets to spray paint their own award as no one else's work would ever do.

Think the craft that goes into it is interesting.

In all fairness I asked both resident Klein sprayers to start new threads to showcase their work. Hopefully we can keep these free of controversy...

So, let's keep these threads civil please chaps :)

Hi 1Martin,

thanks for sharing your amazing work with us! You can do things that i simply can't. Great effort on the MC1 and the dent in the downtube. Klein bikes are not really what im into but i really real admire what you have done. :cool:

Cheers,

Adam

Forgive an ignorant question but ....... what are the black bits in this photo?

Great patience and work :cool:

Black latex gloves add a degree of sinister'ness to your work :LOL:

I agree with John.

While I am certainly no Klein fan, I do like to watch how these paintjobs take shape and am surprised how bad the fuselages often look before Jon and Martin work their magic on them.

I don't give a crap about Kleins but admire a craftsman at work.

Great skills, would love to be able to do that.

letmetalktomark":17f56f4t said:
Forgive an ignorant question but ....... what are the black bits in this photo?

Great patience and work :cool:

Black latex gloves add a degree of sinister'ness to your work :LOL:

From what I can gather from earlier threads it's a boron carbon that was mostly laid by hand

I'm sure someone will explain why

..oops blue beat me too it

Back