98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Tom Ritchey's 30 year old 650B bike

ritchey_1_600.jpg

ritchey_3_600.jpg

Beautiful
ritchey_9_600.jpg

Nice looking bike that even given it is a bit of a gate- what height is Tom?

BTW whats wrong with folk looking at saddles instead of a rare frame???

BTW what is wrong with them not bringing this to Eurobike so we could see it? They brought a breakaway tandem instead - probably filled up less 8D.

clockworkgazz":soez4z7y said:
Nice looking bike that even given it is a bit of a gate- what height is Tom?

BTW whats wrong with folk looking at saddles instead of a rare frame???

An awesome bike. I'd heard about it but never seen it. Thanks for posting, Kaiser.

Re. the tall frame: As explained by Tom Ritchey himself - There were no long seatposts available (maybe Cunningham was already looking into it?), so that limited the options for compact frame geometry.

Devils advocate but if you are capable enough to build your own frame could you not knock up a seatpost in the right size?

Geometry and seatpost would have been of the time. Apart from CC developing them, when did compact frames/long posts become popular/mainstream? About 10 years after this was built?

I don't think it looks gatey at all, I reckon the proportions look pretty good, but I guess the priority was to develop off road capability rather than aesthetics.

clockworkgazz":1ztf9voa said:
Devils advocate but if you are capable enough to build your own frame could you not knock up a seatpost in the right size?

or simply just to extend the seat tube? :cool:

As also stated in the "film" that "goes with it" on Vmeo, the 650B build was built to order for a customer who'd seen a Cleland... not exactly sloping seat tube on them either!

Cool bike but a mtb still need 24" or 26" wheels :LOL:
29" or 650B are only hybrid bikes, not real mtb :LOL:

Back