Crack in head tube ,your views Please

whayne

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,

Can this crack be reparied or can i still use.

It on a 1996 ish marin rocky ridge

Or for the scrap man?

Attachments

• marin crack (Large).jpg
    marin crack (Large).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,447
If it has a lot of sentimental value, it can be repaired. However that's going to be expensive, especially if you want it done right.
Getting another frame might be the cheaper and better option.

You could of course just build it up and ride it Whayne :D ....if it gets worse then bin it....its unlikley to end in a catastrophic failure of the headtube.

Ask the Answer Manitou owners on here.

Agree with above.

I am really surprised no one has invented a frame saver for the headtube, sort of like a cup that sits over the top and has an allen bolt tightener, somewhat like the a gorilla clamp, could save countless frames from light duties or even the bin............

$(KGrHqN,!h8E8N+2EfQ9BPMY-QjEWg~~60_35.JPG

??

RBG

^^^ if you do decide to do that, ten drill a small hole 1.0 mm at the end of the split to stop the fracture propagating. The head tube is unlikley to fial in a catastrophic way, you will get lots of warning of any impending dom - the head race cup may spin when turning the forks.

When my 96 Palisades cracked at the headtube (driver pulled out on me, I ended up on the bonnet) I only noticed some months later.... black frame, hard to spot.

I carried on riding it for about 3 years after I found it, giving the crack regular inspections both before, during (stops for tea/beer/bladder emptying), and after rides, and to the day that I finally upgraded the frame, it ner got any worse and the headset remained tight

G

need one of those... who made them? there was an interview on here not long ago, I think chris king, but could be anyone who was/is a componetn manufaturer who made one for his old yeti arc that had cracked...
anyway it was a head tube saver ring.

retrobikeguy":39j1kzrz said:
Agree with above.

I am really surprised no one has invented a frame saver for the headtube, RBG

Like a..... big jubilee clip ?? Anodize a few and there'd be a ready market on here :D :D

Back