Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:42 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Show us your GIANT
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:38 am 
Dirt Disciple

I have recently come back into mountain bikes....

Got hold of a couple of bargain and beautiful giants.

Ive got a retro pink and yellow stonebreaker which is absolutely like new and found last week an Escaper which is mega specced and very light, gorgeous to ride and again in very very good condition.

Both of my bikes are one owner bikes and are an absolute credit to their previous owners to the point I felt quite embarrassed taking them away from their respective homes and for a pittance too!! Not often I have ever had a guilty feeling about getting a steal of a deal despite the fact i have done it for a living my whole career ( 25 years dealing cars ahem!!!)

What GIANT classic/retro models have you all got and show me some pics, I am wanting to start a ' slight ' collection of classic, mint GIANT MTB's

Thanks in advance for your photo's, replies ( assuming i get some hopefully :D )

Attachments:
File comment: The full bike albeit with a couple of old catseye lights fitted and a couple of LED's i tried last night....I really do love this bike ;)
IMAG0571.jpg
IMAG0571.jpg [ 135.43 KiB | Viewed 1678 times ]
File comment: Rear wheel and gears etc
IMAG0574.jpg
IMAG0574.jpg [ 156.38 KiB | Viewed 1678 times ]
File comment: Araya CV-7 rims, run completely true and smooth
IMAG0572.jpg
IMAG0572.jpg [ 169.8 KiB | Viewed 1678 times ]
File comment: Frame
IMAG0575.jpg
IMAG0575.jpg [ 163.52 KiB | Viewed 1678 times ]
File comment: Brake and thumbshits
IMAG0576.jpg
IMAG0576.jpg [ 177.62 KiB | Viewed 1678 times ]
File comment: Frame with original stickers that came with it the prev owner said
IMAG0577.jpg
IMAG0577.jpg [ 151.34 KiB | Viewed 1678 times ]
File comment: Trying to show the colour here
IMAG0578.jpg
IMAG0578.jpg [ 172.57 KiB | Viewed 1678 times ]

Last edited by wowtimmo on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:47 am 
Retro Guru

Recently finished Giant Box Two......(not exactly origional, but I like it :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:34 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I had a lovely giant back in 91/2, but can't recall what model. Lovely pearlescent purple/blue/pink in different light/angles and dx throughout. Sadly got stolen but last year I threw this together as a commuter bike:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148626&highlight=cadex

I've changed the forks a few times and its now wearing some Pace RC36s (same as originally planned in the build thread, but without the gold stantions, but still with the carbon braces). Nothing else has been changed for a long while and it has been pretty much fit and forget and has chewed up many miles to work and back. Now I've moved further away from work, commuting by bike is unlikely so it's gathering dust in my shed right now, but I hope to investigate commuting a few days a week, or at least getting a train some of the way and cycling the rest. I may refit the original forks and go rigid, but that would mean a new headset and stem and I'm n it sure I can really be bothered, though the Pace forks on a commuter are a bit of a waste imho.

If anyone knows what model of giant I had back in 91/2 I'd be interested to know, as it was a great bike, looked fantastic and rode really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:00 am 
Dirt Disciple

ishaw wrote:
I had a lovely giant back in 91/2, but can't recall what model. Lovely pearlescent purple/blue/pink in different light/angles and dx throughout. Sadly got stolen but last year I threw this together as a commuter bike:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148626&highlight=cadex

I've changed the forks a few times and its now wearing some Pace RC36s (same as originally planned in the build thread, but without the gold stantions, but still with the carbon braces). Nothing else has been changed for a long while and it has been pretty much fit and forget and has chewed up many miles to work and back. Now I've moved further away from work, commuting by bike is unlikely so it's gathering dust in my shed right now, but I hope to investigate commuting a few days a week, or at least getting a train some of the way and cycling the rest. I may refit the original forks and go rigid, but that would mean a new headset and stem and I'm n it sure I can really be bothered, though the Pace forks on a commuter are a bit of a waste imho.

If anyone knows what model of giant I had back in 91/2 I'd be interested to know, as it was a great bike, looked fantastic and rode really well.

Could it of been an Escaper? Same colour as mine but hard to tell but your description seems familiar to mine and it has pink bits on the frame too on mine

Great build on your thread too by the way, impressive that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:06 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Not sure if its an escaper as the paint job on mine was a solid colour, just looked different depending on the light.

Glad you like my build, it's the only one I would say I get use of, which is a bit sad :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Quick bump back to the top.........there must be more Giant's to add to this thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

well Ive also got a giant stonbreaker in pink and yellow LOL

I posted some pics on another thread somewhere but could stick them on here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple

My beloved Giant Bronco, bought new in 1994 my first real MTB,still love it and couldn't buy a new bike iit would be like cheating :-)
and a picture dirty
and one at threerock Dublin mountains, Ireland

Hope you like
1997blackc5 and wowtimmo yer bikes are in really good shape too what years are they ????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 pm 
Old School Hero

My Giant 1988 Super Sierra, 1990 Terrago & 1990 Escaper

Millau France, summer 2012

Terrago 1990

1990 Escaper (found in the garbage)

Last edited by Tommy on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:47 pm 
Retro Guru

Mick O's said ''1997blackc5 and wowtimmo yer bikes are in really good shape too what years are they ????''

Mine is a 1998 (or possibly '97) Box Two & it started life looking like this:

However a powder coat & some old skool club Roost parts & it ends up looking a bit more 'up-to-date' I think.

Btw lov'in the Bronco, there are some very nice Giants on here already. A brand I feel that gets possibly overlooked slightly when we are searching for that late 80's early 90's retro ride in favour of the more 'exotic' Kona, Orange, Yeti etc etc......