British Eagle Yellow Jersey: info wanted

kampos

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all ; this should maybe be in Reader's MTB's section ; my apologies if so.

Took a punt on this bike the other day ; seduced as I was by the 531 sticker and the lugged construction ; but what is it exactly? Googling has so far only thrown up a book publisher formed in 1998 and this is clearly older than that so any ideas? The bike has Exage Trail 18 speed which dates it to late 80's I think? If anyone can help on seatpost size as well I'd be very grateful ; bike is currently "fitted" with a cheapo Raleigh saddle and 25.4 post which rattles about in the frame ( better than finding it stuck I guess ) so I'll be after something that actually fits. Thanks in advance for any help ; I know this isn't the most "boutique" bike in the world but it was worth saving I think.
Pics!

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 880
  • headtube.jpg
    headtube.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 880
  • fork.jpg
    fork.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 880
  • toptube.jpg
    toptube.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 880
Exage Trail = 1989

British Eagle were knocking out lugged 531 frames with horizontal drop-outs at that time so maybe a special edition or rebadged for a London bike shop or fashion chain?

Hi, I have a old 1989 British Eagle mountain bike. Has the 531 frame and 501 forks

The seat post on mine is 27.0mm So it should be the same for your bike.

lrh - That's my thinking also ; but are you certain that the group was 1989 only? Pretty sure I've seen '88 bikes with it but not sure.

outlander - Thanks for that info ; your bike has the same grips as mine also :cool:

Back