Trek 8900 owners

sylus

Old School Grand Master
There is one for sale local to me but it has the carbon frame yellow/light green (the picture is bad) rear triangle but then I'm confused because the front rigid forks and headstock is like a mid green. I thought the 8900 coloured parts were all the same colour front and back?

since none of you lot are close I'll include the add :LOL:

http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/bik/3199988687.html

The first 1989-1990 trek 8700 was in 2 colors, with a cook's crankset.
The fork was ever a tange big fork.

In 1991, the 8900 was carbon/neon yellow with suntour XC pro groupo and a RockShox1 fork ;)

Thanks 24

Craigs list has more scammers than gumtree ever will and it looks like thats the case on this. Tried the email thing and it came straight back and the phone has been disconnected. Thankfully my email is a disposable spare and my number was witheld

if it turns out to be genuine and an early one with crooks..then I'll have it :D

A scam it turned out not to be

Turns out the mobile number he put up...he put one number wrong and when he emailed me with his number I could see why he may not be getting a lot of calls :D so having a look this afternoon

Unfortuneatly no.....Very little is original

The frame is good and tight but with the enivitable laquer lift in the carbon in some places and the usual fluero fade, the forks are the original 1 inch? large tange. It comes with a xt 739 rear mech and a suntour xc pro front mech. Also comes with a ritchey logic comp 1 inch? headset, seat post and saddle. Possible the original bb? Beyond that it's throw away stuff. as a result I paid less than a third of the asking price.

But :D I've decided to keep it and use it as my daily and sell my Giant Cadex cfm-1 with xtr m900/951 mix

It's also given me thoughts about maintaning my retro hobby and I can see why we have so few u.s. members in the retro scene.

I'll give you an example, type in bike into ebay and the nearest one used is 280 miles away from me on a good day, add to that shipping charges of $100 upwards and suddenly the cheap hobby it is in the u.k. (by comparisson) seems a distant memory.

Given we are in the middle of the badlands there aren't so many retro's being ridden by the sioux or the ranchers :LOL: and driving a 14 hour round trip adds to the cost when the truck is a 5.3 v8 :oops:

still I might try some spraying on the metal bits ?
'

Lok at there,

You'll find all the specifications about your 1990 8900 trek on page 7… ;)

@ Trek 1990 8900 owners:

I have the "Matrix" labelled Cooks crank in good condition. 176mm. PM me if interested. :)

medium_DSC01313.JPG

Edit: sorry, now sold.

Here is my offering.......the 8900 is a more tarty variation on the same theme, great bike......

Rahbari":1srfgcew said:
@ Trek 1990 8900 owners:
I have the "Matrix" labelled Cooks crank in good condition. 176mm. PM me if interested. :)
medium_DSC01313.JPG

YGPM :D

feetabix":1srfgcew said:

Here is my offering.......the 8900 is a more tarty variation on the same theme, great bike......
I've got both, 8900 and 8700 :LOL:

Back