Magic Motorcycle/ Coda Magic instructions

elite504

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Folks, I've had a look, and I'm sure I've seen it before, but I can't seem to find a set of instructions for magic cranks.
Ideally, I'd like a torque figure for the ti double-ended crank bolts, and also if poss, a tightening guide. They are strange and special, and I know I've tightened one inadequately, causing it to bottom before the crank is fully on. Trying again, with the bolt a little further "out" (makes sense if you are familiar with the design), and it tightens just fine, but I want to be certain that there is still enough bolt in the BB to avoid stripping.
Anyone able to scan, or even take a photo of the pertinent bits?
Muchos gracias,
:cool:

Sorry, no answer for today.
But I am also interested in any information about the tech of this crankset.
Is there a tool anywehere still available? Crank bolts anywhere?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
So frankly speaking:
I still hope to receive bolts together with the crankset.
And thanks a lot for the information about shimanos's tool!

Elite504,

To get the cranks/bolt bit right, set the bolt in the BB spindle so that the thread is just hidden:
IMG_5660-1.jpg

Then offer the crank up to the end of the bolt and screw in clockwise. The outside face of the bolt should line up with the shallow counterbore on the crank:
IMG_5661.jpg

As for torque...I have no idea, but it certainly doesn't need to be as tight as a standard bolt. That would be pretty hard anyway as the thread is very coarse in comparison. I just use the longer end of a standard 6mm AK by hand, never had one come loose.

Watch out on the chainring side when fitting, as the inner ring ring bolts need to clear through the machined reliefs on the cup:
IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041-2.jpg

Also, the Shimano tool does fit, if you're careful, but not really well. I have got the correct tool you could borrow for a deposit :D

Watch out for the recalled ones, between date code 7182 and 8214. (On the back of the crank near the pedal end) These ones tended to split lengthways:
codacrank207B.jpg

Still lovely cranks, though. Old fitting thread here.
Sometimes the axle bolts stay with the cranks, sometimes they go with the BB. Should really be sold as a complete unit if possible :roll:

I'll see if I can find my fitting sheet...it's around here somewhere ;)

All the best,

Thanks so much Dan, it was the info about how far the bolt is out before tightening that was the six million dollar question. My left arm got a queak and was a little loose, but it was apparent that the bolt had bottomed in the arm before it was pulled up tight.
Great info- thanks! :cool:

I don't have a dog in this race (so to speak), but I just wanted to say:

This is what makes Retrobike special:
People like Dan, who make the effort to post detailed responses in order to help other members.

Nice cranks, BTW :D

Thanks a lot from my side also.
I just recently fell in love with these and so I do not know them as good as my old one yet.

Back