Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:30 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:04 am 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

I recieved the following message from the owner of this last night, which she's asked me to pass on.....

.... so... the frame is fine according to Mr Chicken. He gently sanded down the bad bit... looked fine underneath!... he generally checked out the entire frame and could find nothing of concern. V pleased to see it.
His advice was to strip and respray to get a better price.
He felt the rust was prob due to something dripping onto bike and not something sinister in the frame.

He told me to keep away from forums!

Really relieved all in all ...

Mr Chicken is this chap... http://chickenbikes.com/ so I'd hope he knows what he's talking about. I'd just been looking at his frames at the Big Dog, so suggested to her that he'd be able to offer advise on the state of the frame.
My advice to her was to forget getting it re-painted, but get it stripped so people could see the condition underneath.
I'm sure this will be popping up on ebay soon :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:52 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

makster wrote:
I recieved the following message from the owner of this last night, which she's asked me to pass on.....

.... so... the frame is fine according to Mr Chicken. He gently sanded down the bad bit... looked fine underneath!... he generally checked out the entire frame and could find nothing of concern. V pleased to see it.
He felt the rust was prob due to something dripping onto bike and not something sinister in the frame.

Really relieved all in all ..

Mr Chicken is this chap... http://chickenbikes.com/ so I'd hope he knows what he's talking about. I'd just been looking at his frames at the Big Dog, so suggested to her that he'd be able to offer advise on the state of the frame.
My advice to her was to forget getting it re-painted, but get it stripped so people could see the condition underneath.

Thats good news then.

Did the lady enlighten you, as to what Mr Chicken had to say about the repair...?

Attachments:
4sale.jpg
4sale.jpg [ 31.36 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

Last edited by sinnerman on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:08 am 

sinnerman wrote:
makster wrote:

Thats good news then.

Did the lady enlighten you, as to what Mr Chicken had to say about the repair...?

Her exact words..... I did ask the guy about that area that Carl et al feels may have been a repair... to be honest he didn't have much opinion on it.' Not necessarily' was the feeling...

The plot thickens :lol:

Her general feeling is that she's going to put it on ebay (with international shipping) and see what it gets.
It'll be interesting to see what this raises.
Go on Carl, you know you'd do it justice :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:33 am 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg

makster wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
makster wrote:

Thats good news then.

Her exact words..... I did ask the guy about that area that Carl et al feels may have been a repair... to be honest he didn't have much opinion on it.' Not necessarily' was the feeling...

Her general feeling is that she's going to put it on ebay (with international shipping) and see what it gets.

Naaaah it's too small for him. Best leave the bidding to a shorter British Steel RetroBike fan.... ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:34 am 

......who will ride it as well (yes I know Carl does!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:41 am 
Old School Grand Master

Her repainting it before selling it is a terrible idea!

Looks quite cool, I don't know if I can get over that blemish/pimple/boil on the DT though, lets see what happens when it goes up to auction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:57 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

makster wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
makster wrote:

Thats good news then.

It may seem to some that i have an interest in buying this frame, and this is the reason why i am openly skeptical of the frames condition.

this is not the case, that would be shocking form.

Just for the record...., i have no interest in buying this frame, because it has been repaired, and whilst the repair looks tidy enough, i personnally couldnt live with it.

My only motive for touching on it at all, is purely from a position i am in with an estay frame at the moment, the spiraling costs, and delays from sourcing the correct replacement tubes, to complete the project, and wanting to make potential new owners aware of the pitfalls involved if they do choose to rebuild, or indeed have a problem after they have invested there money.

If the new owner is not concerned about it, then crack on, rebuild it and ride it.

As i have said elsewhere on the forum, my biggest mistake of late was not having a bid on the Overburys e-stay bike that sold recently for £282.56p. (as shown in the first pic below,)

If anybody here did buy this frame please send me a PM.

The additional picture also shows the same frame as the purple example about to go up for sale without a repair tab.

Attachments:
$(KGrHqN,!rQE88hJMD3cBPVRgcVI)w~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqN,!rQE88hJMD3cBPVRgcVI)w~~60_12.jpg [ 81.31 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
$(KGrHqF,!iEE9TPoYUP!BPVRgnqff!~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqF,!iEE9TPoYUP!BPVRgnqff!~~60_12.jpg [ 75.03 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]
overburysestay_443.jpg
overburysestay_443.jpg [ 212.82 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:26 am 
Old School Grand Master

I think I'll content myself with my Wots...

...not dissimilar to look at; and far less complicated :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:51 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Rod_Saetan wrote:
Her repainting it before selling it is a terrible idea!

Looks quite cool, I don't know if I can get over that blemish/pimple/boil on the DT though, lets see what happens when it goes up to auction!

Agreed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:36 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I've been following this thread as I’ve always hankered after an Overbury’s and I was at ARGOS in Bristol this morning and asked them for their opinion. As soon as they saw the joint they said it was a repair…

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next