The XYZ Overbury's E-stay

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
As I was in Brighton today (racing at the excellent Big Dog), I arranged to go and take a look at this before heading off.
It was amazing to see one in the flesh, and the lady selling it is absolutely lovely.
It looks like she's going to be putting this on eBay rather than a straight sale, as she's been blown away by the interest in it and really doesn't know what to ask for it.
So, to the bike...the frame and forks look largely sound. There are some scratches and scrapes, but nothing I'd be worried about.
However, there is a large area of surface corrosion that's bubbling through the paintwork.
This is at the junction where the tube below the top tube meets with the diagonal down tube, that goes to the BB. It's really hard to say what is going on underneath the paint. It may just be lifting, or the tube could be rotting.
It's on the upper surface, which may be good news.

I suggested to Lulu that it may be worth getting this looked at by a frame builder, or simply remove a small area of the paint, if she wants to get top money for this.
I have some pics, but the b&b I'm in in Dover has very poor wireless!

I'm deffo interested in this, and will be taking a keen interest in the auction.
I expect it'll end up too rich for me though, so thought this info could be useful to others on here ;)

Managed to upload a pic of the corrosion....

BigDog019.jpg

Sorry for the quality....taken on my phone!!

good work makster.

It will be a really interesting auction - I think that the seller is making the right choice to get the best $

Thank you from me too.

You have saved my pocket, and many a sleepless nite... :cool:

sinnerman":2r2kqnco said:
Thank you from me too.

You have saved my pocket, and many a sleepless nite... :cool:

I was kind of hoping you were going to do that for me...and buy it!!
Do you think that corrosion is a show stopper?

the 'value' of this has dropped to double figures and my interest has sadly sputtered and died, just like our summer...

What this frame needs is a cheap powdercoat, and sum easy decals, and a cool wall to hang it on, in some kind of cool contempory apartment some where.

Its would look "cool" as wall ART.

Rampage":1akcgqwj said:
Is there a story behind this in another thread or something?!

No story really.
The owner posted it in the 'whats my XYZ worth' thread. A few of us contacted her about it, and I think she's had interest from elsewhere.
I was in the area so arranged to take a look

Back