Zaskar or Zasker or ZasKerr?

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
After reading a few of the recent posts outing potential fake eBay Zaskars I've gotta ask......what is it about the Zaskar frames that make them a common target for people trying to pass them off as something they're not?

Are the differences in the frames in the GT range so minimal that it is potentially easy to fool someone into thinking they have something they don't?

I'm pretty sure I don't see that many other manufacturers frames being sold off as something higher in the range.....

Excuse my ignorance on this - I don't know a lot (read - nothing) about GT bikes (apart from the distinctive triple triangle design.....)

So what makes a Zaskar a Zaskar, over lower frames in the range (presumably the usual thing of better quality alu, thinner tubes etc)?

Please educate me...... :)

looking through GT catalogues - Zaskars are featured with 7005 tubing and curved end cap - the LE is the one that was made in the USA,

So some of these might be Zaskars, definately in the 1995 catalogue, there are the 2 types.

mattbrown":3dlficob said:
looking through GT catalogues - Zaskars are featured with 7005 tubing and curved end cap - the LE is the one that was made in the USA,

So some of these might be Zaskars, definately in the 1995 catalogue, there are the 2 types.

Matt you're spouting more untruth about Zaskar's that's just going to spread / spin more misinformation to the pile that's already online.

- Zaskar was first 1990-91 6061 US made Flat top tube end cap
- Zaskar and Zaskar LE 92-99 For the most part very similar frame/the same frame from 92-94 6061 US Made Flat top tube end cap a few other tube butting and dropout differences from 95-99. For the most part very similar frame/the same frame from 92-94 just one equipped with XT and the LE equipped with XTR and sold as a frame set.
- 2001 and after a mix of US made depending upon which model Zaskar, Zaskar Race, Zaskar X, LE or Team and after 2002 pretty much all Taiwan built until the Re-Issue in 2008.

All early Zaskars from 1990 upto 2000 and maybe newer have numeric only serial numbers stamped in the left rear stay, the first four digits signifying month and year of manufacture. All GT aluminum frames that start with an H serial number were built at Taiwan Hodaka. Most of those that start with a T, SA or SAS were built at Taioku or Sanfa with 7005 tubing and are also 7005 and Taiwan built. One exclusion to the flat top tube end cap is the 1992 Pantera which also has a flat top tube end cap but has a serial number on the inside of the left rear dropout starting with an H and dropouts stamped 7005.

Lighter 6061 T6 heat treated tubing on the Zaskars. The import aluminum models Avalanche, Avalanche AL, LE, Pantera, Backwoods, Arrowhead and Tempest were all Taiwan built and 7005 tubing. On most of those that have passed through my hands I have found on most years that the 7005 Taiwan frame weighed 4oz or more in the same size. The 2000 and up Zaskar Race model was out of Taiwan and 7005 was the first Zaskar variation to have a curved end cap (Hence meaning made in Taiwan post GT being in California after the Pacific buyout). This subject has been so beat to death on here...maybe best to use the search field. The bottom line is there are people out there trying to score higher eBay or want ad selling prices by taking a lower end polished, ball burnished or billet finished frame and putting Zaskar decals on it and calling it a Zaskar. This cheats those that are selling legitimate Zaskars at the same time. That's why we in the know call out the bad listers when they put them up. Only protecting the brethren on Retrobike. I've had close up personal encounters with hundreds of them built between 90 and 08. Not tooting my horn but I've probably shipped as many to Europe that past seven years as GT's European distributors imported in the early years, still own quite a few and have a number of NOS and used unbuilt frames yet. I get at least three PM questions a week on here regarding them.

Attachments

• Zaskar Parade.JPG
    Zaskar Parade.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 2,825
sherlylock":ask2cjsv said:
After reading a few of the recent posts outing potential fake eBay Zaskars I've gotta ask......what is it about the Zaskar frames that make them a common target for people trying to pass them off as something they're not?

The key thing is Zaskars are/were fashionable fashion bikes often bought by people who liked the idea of mountain bikes more than the sport. People often wanted to appear to have the most fashionable bike, even if they couldn't afford it and so added to the fact that the frame on lower bikes looked visually similar, we're polished, had stick on decals that could be easily removed and replaced and bingo, you could turn any old bike into a Zaskar than most other fashionbois would never question.

It was a bit like the wide boys in the 90 who stuck a cosworth decal on the back of their old family sierra - fashion and status over genuine quality or performance.

And no different to me having a couple of STI decals on my Subaru WRX :)

if someone wants to re label an avalanche eg as a zaskar for their own purposes then that's fine, as long as they state "replica" when they sell it

Awesome collection of Zaskars there fella :cool: :cool:

I thought the Avalanche was 6061 T6 tubing also.

how does the ride compare to a cali built Zaskar can anyone tell me?

can a difference be felt.

seems you would be better of trying to pass lower models of as an avalanche myself

Charlieboy28":1t7brqfp said:
I thought the Avalanche was 6061 T6 tubing also.

how does the ride compare to a cali built Zaskar can anyone tell me?

seems you would be better of trying to pass lower models of as an avalanche myself

All Avalanche AL's Avalanches and Avalanche LE's from 93-96 were 7005. Avalanche and Avalanche LE were only 6061 in 1997 and 98. Back to 7005 in 99.

People would be better off if they were just honest with what they are selling.

I had a 1997 Zaskar and a 1997 Avalanche and the two frames couldnt be more different once side by side.

And the ride is even more different. The Zaskar twangs and springs around in all the right place whereas the avalanche is just dull and flat. I bet I could tell the twoa apart just from riding.

My older Zaskar has been my benchmark for years with bikes either riding better or worse than a genuine 1993 Zaskar - and just to muddy the waters, it was an LE with full XT.

Ner.

Latest posts

Back