build style...

• period

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • or whatever takes me fancy

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

sjar76

Dirt Disciple
wahoo! just bought an F900 frameset in tangerine, complete with cranks, post & clamp. DD60 headshok appears to work & lock out fine. condition apparently vg. checking it out tomorrow before i release the wad.
so. it'll be a gradual build in something like original spec, but upgraded. apparently the full OE spec was as follows, but I guess I might go for full XT/R? Not sure about wheels; not too retentive about them being in period. Stem & bars, well - who knows?
This is great news for me; after a few Specializeds I drifted away from MTBs in the mid 90s, but never really got over my old 3.0 Cannondale, first proper bike. This F900 looks the business and I am very excited about it. The process of choosing and sourcing bits is going to be a blast!
Will post pic of it as it arrives and during the build, hope it is of interest to some people. In the meantime, share thoughts on what might be a good spec and offer me bits if you think they would look the nuts...

Component Group Shimano Deore LX/STX-RC
Brakeset Shimano Deore LX V-Brake brakes, Shimano Deore LX levers
Shift Levers Shimano Deore LX RapidFire SL
Front Derailleur Shimano STX-RC top-swing, bottom-pull/clamp-on 35.0 mm
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore LX SGS
Crankset CODA 300, 22/32/42 teeth
Pedals CODA 900 clipless
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-LP26
BB Shell Width 68mm English
Rear Cogs 8-speed, 11 - 30 teeth
Chain Sachs SC-45, 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost Kalloy SP-263, 27.2 mm diameter
Saddle CODA 900
Handlebar CODA Performance
Handlebar Extensions CODA XYZ
Handlebar Stem CODA HeadShok
Headset Cannondale oversize CODA HeadShok
Wheels Tires 26 x 2.10" IRC Mythos XC kevlar

Attachments

• QBimages.jpg
    QBimages.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 2,332
Congratulations.

Be sure to inspect the headshock thoroughly. If there's a problem, these things can be a nightmare to sort out.

Be sure to post some pics and start a build thread. C'dales aren't everyone's cup of tea, but there'll still be plenty of people interested and willing to give advice.

Cheers! I've read that the shok can be rebuilt for less than £100 and I've seen bearings, boots etc on ebay. hoping it will be fixable even if there's a real problem with it.

Raging_Bulls":1ons68ir said:
Congratulations.

Be sure to inspect the headshock thoroughly. If there's a problem, these things can be a nightmare to sort out.

Be sure to post some pics and start a build thread. C'dales aren't everyone's cup of tea, but there'll still be plenty of people interested and willing to give advice.

I was about to post the same, "not to everyones cup of tea".

To be fair i like em.

Caad 3, nice colour, :cool:

Mate build your dream bike...., why stop at XTR.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ale+sm2000

sjar76":10qlepjf said:
Cheers! I've read that the shok can be rebuilt for less than £100 and I've seen bearings, boots etc on ebay. hoping it will be fixable even if there's a real problem with it.

Be very careful of the fork, they are fixable, and plenty can do it, so it isnt really an issue, but it can be costly, especially if heavy amounts of water have got into the headshok, you might as well replace all the needle bearing as well as all the steel plates, if you are going to do any work though, and to be fair, it would never hurt to get them serviced anyway to make best use of them.

you are right. it should be personal, and it should be trick. do people still say 'trick'? i am very much of the early mint Sauce era i'm afraid, and been in the wilderness since. your C looks the biz.
LOVE those Paul brakes. love them. just in case - did you just go to Cannondale UK for your decals?
i totally loved my old black 3.0 with white speckle; it was perfect for me. Lovely and quick, responsive, really light and direct front end. Also loved the design of it and never lost that Cannondale itch. I grew out of it and bought a Stumpjumper Pro, which I rebuilt from bare metal and it was stolen, insurance company coughed up a boggo '96 Stumpjumper which I personally found totally sterile, it just didn't get me fired up in any way whatsoever. So it gathered dust until I flogged it. Roll on a new Cannondale era!

sjar76":3se95hep said:
you are right. it should be personal, and it should be trick. do people still say 'trick'? i am very much of the early mint Sauce era i'm afraid, and been in the wilderness since. your C looks the biz.
LOVE those Paul brakes. love them. just in case - did you just go to Cannondale UK for your decals?
i totally loved my old black 3.0 with white speckle; it was perfect for me. Lovely and quick, responsive, really light and direct front end. Also loved the design of it and never lost that Cannondale itch. I grew out of it and bought a Stumpjumper Pro, which I rebuilt from bare metal and it was stolen, insurance company coughed up a boggo '96 Stumpjumper which I personally found totally sterile, it just didn't get me fired up in any way whatsoever. So it gathered dust until I flogged it. Roll on a new Cannondale era!

Yes mate, some us us still use the term "trick".. :oops:

Forget Cannondale Use Gil_M on here for the decals, he can do anything you need, and hes good.

To be honest though i like it in Orange.

not changing colour, no - just in case it's not as good as it looked in the pics. the more i think about it the more excited i get - takes me back to growing up in melton mowbray, dreaming of schwinn excelsiors and california. fancying missy giove. ahem.
i quite fancya klein as well, but know nothing about them. they were just the ultimate object of desire for me back then. well - that and an RC200.

i think i'll go for a core of XTR but all sorts for pedals, bars, brakes, saddle & post.
wheels not sure.

will be sure to update

YES!!!!! happy

Marmite maybe, but I'm definitely a big lover... ;)

The matt grey of XTR might look superb on the orange, although equally I'd be inclined towards the black & silver of XT and saving a few quid! Spend on some silly light wheels instead, make the most of that incredible acceleration :cool:

Back