Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:38 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:13 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi and calling fat chance techies.
I'm on a winter refurb of a 95 Ti-fat, I'm looking at fitting a rigid front fork, always on the lookout for a big one inch (yes I have seen the one on ebay at this time!) but also looking at either a spicer Ti fork or a unicrown vicious cycles fork both these from the states.
Q, what length fork were the 95 fat models suspension corrected for?
Cheers and has anyone got a similar fork for sale or built up on their rigs, I would love to see any pics,
cheers alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:28 pm 
Old School Grand Master

hi alan
95 I reckon 60mm suspension fork, yellow judy SL era. the 99 brochure mentions 80mm adjusted.

the FAT yo eddy forks I have are 91-93 era, so they;re gonna be real short. can measure & find out if you want :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:42 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi Alan,

Am doing the very same (although a ?93 vintage).
Gonna use PACE RC30 forks from the mid 1990s first off.
Was quite interested in getting Independent Fabrication to make a fork until I found out the price ( £275 !).

Scant, it would be interesting to know the length of the older FAT forks, as I've got to different lengths of PACE fork leg to choose -although will be putting the non-rusty ones on first up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master

both forks measured around the 15 1/2in mark, crown race to axle.

for the record I've used both 80 & even 100mm suspension forks on my 99 fat ti with very good results. modern day suspension forks are short for the given travel... & dare I say it but a slight slackening of FATs pretty steep angles hasnt proven to be detrimental at all ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:13 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm taking a set of judy sl's of the Ti and building these into an Indy Fab deluxe build that i've got on the go at the moment. I have measured the judys and these come out at a fraction over the 420mm mark, now i think the judy is a 50/60mm ish fork. Twas ok as a fork on the fat, and I spoke to IF who stated that my deluxe was a 99 and 420mm fork would be perfect for that frame heh sorted! Looking for a rigid fork for the fat comes a little harder, spicer don't do the big one copy Ti fork in 1" and vicious forks can be ordered in a 1" steerer threaded and non threaded, 1" only as a 413mm fork, do you tech guys think that would be OK.
Buy the way has anyone had any experience of using a CK devolution headset before 1 1/8 frame to 1" steerer conversion.
cheers alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:10 pm 
Old School Grand Master

yeh the fork length thing sounds fine... & as you'd expect king devos work as well as any king product. IE exceptionally :)