just never had to do this before

Thanks in advance
Marc

Attachments

• IMG_20120721_231326.jpg
    IMG_20120721_231326.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,255
I'm not 'engineer' but i use a flat screw driver and a hammer. And hit it

Ok mate no bother i thought i had to maybe be a lil more delicate just thought a better ask first

Thanks Mate

tintin40":3uabbhf7 said:
I'm not 'engineer' but i use a flat screw driver and a hammer. And hit it

Yep. I had to do it a few days ago to fit one.

I'm not looking forward to the inevitable removal at some point :(

Thanks tazio also mate like i said just thought it maybe a more delicate job hand will have hammer and screwdriver in hand tmw morning

cheers :D

Prior to bashin' it with the screwdriver and hammer, I opt for subtlety... tap a stanley blade in around between crown and the race to get it started. Less bashing required. Just work round the steerer tapping it in and pulling it out. This lifts it fractionally off the crown and its a goner

The screwdriver method works pretty well as long as it's not really stuck on there, but if it is sometimes all the bashing can ding up the fork a bit. When they are stuck, I use a 'bearing separator (splitter)', they sell small ones on US ebay for $10 or so, not sure what the availability is across the pond. It works well and if your careful, it won't mar the fork crown.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/image ... 6aHpMQpHL9

If you're using the screwdriver method, just remember to give it a couple of taps one side, then the other, back and forth to 'wriggle' the crown race off.

If you just bash away at one side, you will just jam the race onto the fork, or do a lot of damage to both.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Invest in the proper tool for the job and never worry about having trouble removing another crown race.

Back