Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:45 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:39 am 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 am
Posts: 6
Location: Houston
Hello,

I rescued this dusty old bike from a local pawn shop for just a few dollars but I am at a loss as to exactly which year/model Diamondback it is.

My best guess is it's an old Topanga or Sorrento.

Any Ideas?

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:42 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:34 am
Posts: 1042
Location: Hook, Hants
Is that an Altus groupset? I would guess this: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1993&Brand=Diamondback&Model=Sorrento&Type=bike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:46 am 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 am
Posts: 6
Location: Houston
lrh wrote:


It is an Altus component group but it has the Altus A20 Crankset, Rear Derailleur and Shifters not the C20 series that is listed for that Sorrento.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:49 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:55 am
Posts: 2920
Location: Dorset
For a few dollars that was a good deal 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:01 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:34 am
Posts: 1042
Location: Hook, Hants
Dungeonstone wrote:
It is an Altus component group but it has the Altus A20 Crankset, Rear Derailleur and Shifters not the C20 series that is listed for that Sorrento.

So it's a 93 Topanga: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1993&Brand=Diamondback&Model=Topanga&Type=bike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:33 am 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 am
Posts: 6
Location: Houston
lrh wrote:
Dungeonstone wrote:
It is an Altus component group but it has the Altus A20 Crankset, Rear Derailleur and Shifters not the C20 series that is listed for that Sorrento.

So it's a 93 Topanga: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1993&Brand=Diamondback&Model=Topanga&Type=bike


Thank you.

That does seem to match up with the equipment on the bike.

Matter of fact, if I take a close look at where the "name" sticker used to be on the frame of the bike, the faint outline in the paint looks to match up to the old Topanga sticker outline as well.

Mystery solved.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:36 am 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 am
Posts: 6
Location: Houston
widowmaker wrote:
For a few dollars that was a good deal 8)


Yes indeed. Both tires are flat and the shifter cable is frozen but the frame is in good shape with no rust and just some paint chipping and sticker loss.

Seems to have most of the original equipment except for the seat and handlebars. With a little TLC it should be back to almost factory spec condition.

Now does anyone know where I can get a replacement set of stickers/labels for it? :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 am 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:38 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Australia
Just purchased this bike my brother picked it up for under $100
Looking forward to refurbishing and tuning it up!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:23 am 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
apollo95 wrote:
Just purchased this bike my brother picked it up for under $100
Looking forward to refurbishing and tuning it up!
Image

Looking at the decals and the Vs I'd suggest that's later in the 90s at least 97, maybe 98 / 99?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:16 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 am
Posts: 6
Location: Houston
Neil wrote:
apollo95 wrote:
Just purchased this bike my brother picked it up for under $100
Looking forward to refurbishing and tuning it up!
Image

Looking at the decals and the Vs I'd suggest that's later in the 90s at least 97, maybe 98 / 99?


I'd guess a '96. That was one of the years the Topanga came in that color.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], boswell, Retro Spud and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group