The collection is looking Flat!

utahdog2003

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I haven't made a big splash and changed up the stable in quite a while, and to top it off, I seem to only reach for the Monocog29er and the Turner 5-Spot when I ride and not the vintage steeds! I even find it hard to participate and hold interest in some of the really great recent build threads I've seen here on the board. I try to talk the game like I really dig it, but I know I'm missing the passion right now for the old and funky.

So after 23 years of loving rigid rigs and thumbshifters, am I losing my edge?

I am contemplating selling 8 of the 12 bikes I own, and a good compliment of the retro parts. I'm thinking I may get myself on a waiting list for something splashy and custom and modern. I could probably buy it and the parts to build it and maybe even a small house with all the crap I have to sell if I do go through with the purge. If I blow it all out will I kill myself with a spoon three months from now when I realize what I've done? Some of this crap is nearly irreplaceable.

The collection just seems like it's in my way and maybe even keeping me from riding and enjoying cycling.

It has been very rainy here in FLA these last few weeks. Maybe I need a vitamin D shot or something! :LOL:

Anyone ever feel like this? Suggestions?
:cry: :shock:

refer to the Aspergers thread in the General off topic section.. :D

I think there's a fair few of us (I include myself) that feel like this quite often.

I suggest you get yourself the best of both worlds and have a nice steel custom frame made, in the style of the retro, but with the advantages of a more moderns build.

Something like a Rourke 853, a Yates D.O.N.K.I.S...., a Roberts D.O.G.S.... orwhatever the equivalent is out there.

That's what I'd do anyway :twisted:

Post up what you have bikes wise and try and work out paring it down to the best/most meaningful and yes, I agree splash out on something boutique and classic with modern accouterments if you feel you need 'em

- Of course I'm a fine one to talk with the rampant case of Bicycle Acquisition Disorder (BAD) that I am fighting right now...

although nowhere near your collection, I've just had the same thoughts myself. I managed to cull one bike, only to rebuild it later....

NeilM":26ua0dsl said:
I suggest you get yourself the best of both worlds and have a nice steel custom frame made, in the style of the retro, but with the advantages of a more moderns build.

Something like a Rourke 853, a Yates D.O.N.K.I.S...., a Roberts D.O.G.S.... orwhatever the equivalent is out there.

That's what I'd do anyway :twisted:

Kicking around the idea of a Ti Potts 29er.

legrandefromage":26ua0dsl said:
although nowhere near your collection, I've just had the same thoughts myself. I managed to cull one bike, only to rebuild it later....

I am worried about that a little bit. Sell a Brodie buy a different Brodie three weeks later, etc etc.

I too ran into the same problem, with a job, wife, 2 kids and other things I like to do, the bikes, parts and frames became clutter in my garage.
Plus, after receiving my new custom Black Cat it is the only thing I have ridden in the past couple months and and that will not change for a while.
I have 2 bikes I will never sell, I guess 3 now, and a collection of parts that I will always keep. For the rest, they will come and go.
I say go custom, you will not be disappointed.:)

Attachments

• clean ca2t.jpg
    clean ca2t.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 1,398
Back