Date my Spesh?

Sparky

Retro Newbie
Maybe not full on retro but its a few years old, can anyone date this Specialized Rockhopper. Its a 20 inch Cromo version with Shimano Exage 400 groupset. I don't think think the serial number relates to a year like GT does. It runs well, not had much use, the brakes are mega shite by the way, cleaned the rims and buffed the crap off the pads with a light emery paper, they have improved but still way too leery for me. Any suggestions welcome on how to improve.

spesh1.jpg

spesh2.jpg

hi, nice bike you have there.
to improve braking first thing i'd do is have straddle cable puller thing further down main brake cable/ nearer tyre, then make sure pad pegs are, say, central in 10mm bolt tightener making straddle cable bit longer= better leverage. and toe them in nicely, softer pads help too, of course you may know all this!
good luck.

see you've got m-system straddles, you can get shorter versions, they were termed A,B,C.. dependant on length, shorter ones will help, or just cut slim silver cable outer down a bit.

cheers for the tip, I will try to get a close up pic on the brakes tomorrow, I did notice that they are pulling unequal on the front, this probably doesn't help. I noticed the pads were rock hard when I looked at them, probably gone off with age as they do look original.

cheers

Sparky

Coolstop

Coolstop pads are the answer, the original Shimano pads are like plastic not rubber. Brakes have now improved.

Many thanks for the info Konaglider and to the hoards who made suggestions as to how old this bike is.

Hi mate,

I reckon that is a full on retro rig, about 1990 - 1991 judging by the groupset and frame decals...nice one!

Rich

What is the frame number? My stumpy has a number starting 90####. It was made in 1990 :LOL:

That aside going from the decals you're looking at very early 90s

spesh

told ya 91/92 ish
anyone know why this bike rides better(and is lighter) than a later ali
one ?
mikee

koolstops

koolstops ARE good pads, will be putting on my Koa as rebuild goes along. soft pads but don't squeal like b****ards, if set up right.

Frame number

The frame number is GP122926, I was going to try the Spesh website, see if there is any info there on this one.

P

Back