Shimano FAQ for dummies

flipwils11

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
I've searched this site and been reading up quite a bit, but I still am a newbie when it comes to Shimano part numbers and what the part #'s mean (and for what application). Long cage, mid cage, etc on rear derailers, and the numbers on parts like:

ST-M951
ST-SS95

For shifter/brake levers on XTR from 1998.

Or for the LX components shifter/brake levers:

ST-M565
ST-M566
ST-M567

What does the last digit of the model # mean, 5, 6, 7?

Sorry, I really am an intelligent guy, but before buying anything on the classifieds or on ebay to update my 1994 Stumpjumper, I want to make sure I'm getting the right parts I need and not a group that are not compatible.

Thanks, be patient with me! :LOL:

M = mountain
R = road

The first number is which groupset it's from, ie
9 = XTR
7 = XT
5 = LX

The seconds number is increased every time a new groupset is released, ie
XTR Groupsets
M900
M950
M960
M970

The third number is revisions/upgrades within the same groupset.

As an example in rear mechs (probably not accurate):

M950 original mech
M951 upgraded mech
M952 9 speed version of above mech
M953 rapid rise version of mech

I don't know where we'd be on here if they hadn't come up with this numbering system!

Interesting that mountain group set models are numbered in odd numbers, are road sets in even numbers ?

M5**, M7**, M9**

I think it was so they could use the even numbers if they launched a new groupset that need to fit between others.

DX is M65*
SLX is M66*
I think Saint was even as well.

Thanks, very helpful. What does mid cage/long cage on the rear derailer mean and the swing mean for the front derailer? Not sure which would have come on my 1994 Stumpjumper.

Well I applaud you for doing your research and finding out about parts. :D

Pretty much as above, there are of course oddities.

Long cage mechs can take more chain through them, this means it can 'take up the slack' from large rings front and back compared to small rings front and back.

If you want to get lost in numbers try here
http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Herstelle ... uppen.html and also the DIGEST and other part on there http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/Shimano/

use that with the Gallery&Archive on this site, Shimano section and tally it with the mombat site given and you'll have a good collection of info, dates.
Anything else you can just ask.

Most is compatible with each other which is one of the good things.

P.S.To correct rampage's post
M951 rear mech is the rapid rise version of the M950 (2nd gen XTR group set)
and 952 is 9 speed version of 950, and 953 is 9 speed version of 951

Front Mech

'Swing'
all about the clamping...

Bottom swing is the conventional/traditional style of mech, where the clamp is higher than the shifting plates.

Top swing is the 'modern' type of mech, originally designed for suspension.
where it needed to clamp lower on the down tube or 'stud'. introduced ~1995
cannot be used on 'ovalised' seatubes at the bottom bracket.
The clamp is lower or ~same lever as the shifting plates.
Also I personally find they collect mud and stones and are prone to clogging up, rendering shifting a bit crap. often the stone stops granny ring being used. Though cable routing for 'top-pull' is much neater.

'pull'
where the cable comes from

Bottom pull, the traditional method.
Cables enters the mech from below, e.g from under the bottom bracket.

Top pull, cable enter the mech from above, e.g. over the top tube and down the seat tube. Introduced ~1992

Pictures of course are better but I need to go out.

That is a great help, I think I can visualize pretty well plus there are a lot of great photos on this site.

Thanks for taking the time to type that out, I have some more research and education to do now but this will help me tremendously.

Back