Opinions: convert my Machine Tech canti's to v-brakes?

flipwils11

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
After discovering this site and having a brief intro to what's possible via the search function on this site and all the great builds, I need the opinion of the board and possible howto advice.

I have Machine Tech cantilever brakes on my 1994 Stumpjumper but I always wanted v-brakes back in the day when they came out. Now I'm guessing the Machine Tech items are kind of cool in a retro way, but I still always longed for some nice v-brakes.

Here's my intro thread with pics of my green 1994 Stumpjumper:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Question 1: Keep what I have or convert to period-correct V-brakes?

Question 2: If you answered convert on #1, my preference is to locate appropriate late-90's vintage Shimano XTR v-brakes, and convert the whole thing (brake levers, shifter pods, and brakes). I would probably leave the XT derailers alone.

Based on this site:

http://datenbanken.freepage.de/traut/SHIMANO.html

I think I need the BR-M950 brakes (correct me if I'm wrong please) but I'm not sure I understand the differences within a group. For example XT shifter/brake levers have different numbers within that category, what do the numbers mean?

The use will be occasional trail riding as I still give my '94 a decent workout at times, and hopefully more as my son (6 years old) is able to go on more rides with me with his 20" Scott Scale Jr bike.

Looking at your other thread, you have a far from standard 1994 frame, with a lot of updated parts, so why not continue to upgrade with some XTR V-Brakes, especially as the canti's you already have are non-standard to the Stumpie.

I say, it's your bike, built by you, for you :cool:

My 2p worth. If a frame was built before V's then don't fit them. Buy a later frame and fit the V's

Ditto with the "Go For It" comments above

Its your bike, do what you like. Especially considering you say you always dreamt of fitting V's to it at the time anyway, so the idea is in itself... Retro ;)
If the bike has been continually upgraded and evolved anyway, then whats the harm?

G

Thanks for the opinions guys, helps a lot. I kind of threw a good amount of money at the bike back in the 95-96 period when I was riding a lot (lol, I remember those Race Face cranks were so cool in the display case at the bike shop I had to get them!). But since then it's been pretty much the same other than the Cane Creek headset a year or so ago.

My XTR v-brake interest mainly comes from the situation where I got the Machine Tech brakes actually. My friend had a Gary Fisher Pro-Caliber Limited at the time and upgraded to XTR v-brakes when they came out and offered me those Machine Techs from his Gary Fisher. They've been on my bike ever since.

tintin40":1t72yyly said:
My 2p worth. If a frame was built before V's then don't fit them. Buy a later frame and fit the V's

Tintin, from your comment, will the V-brakes not work on my frame in the rear because the mounting points are only for cantilevers? Also on my Judy XC fork, do I need any different mounting plate parts to convert to V-brakes?

I'm in the US so maybe I will sell the Machine Techs if I find the right parts to convert, or I might just put them on the 1995 Stumpjumper I just picked up. :LOL:

flipwils11":2tpqgqal said:
Tintin, from your comment, will the V-brakes not work on my frame in the rear because the mounting points are only for cantilevers? Also on my Judy XC fork, do I need any different mounting plate parts to convert to V-brakes?

I'm pretty certain that the V's will work on your bike. But it's an early frame before V's.

Also why do you have a 'thing' for V's I have two Trimble one with Canti/U brake and a late frame with V's and they ride the same, stop the same. V's are not special certainly not worth ruining a nice frame.

the whole "frame before v-brakes = no v brakes" thing is bull

99.9% of us couldnt wait to ditch our faffy to adjust cantis back in the day.

and yes, i'm perfectly capable of setting a canti up nicely, i just have better things to do.

cce":2wfl3doc said:

and yes, i'm perfectly capable of setting a canti up nicely, i just have better things to do.
Awfully harsh - there's plenty of things, on here, taken "as is" that are just aesthetics - and this is no different.

cce":28d3trnx said:

Yes, but setting up cantis properly is all part of the fun.
But also yes, there are better things to do with one's time.

Back