girvin forks advice please

sadexpunk

Dirt Disciple
hello

mates just bought a set of these forks from ebay and theyve turned out to have a real solid elastomer. no spring in it at all really, so theyre basically a rigid fork at the mo.

the seller said yep, theyve gone a bit hard, and you can soften them by soaking them in boiling water, but that seems a bit of a faff if you have to do that pretty regularly.

my mate would like to know if anyone sells these now, as theyre a real old fork. hes also seen a replacement spring from Descent Cycles, Scotland, that does the job of an elastomer, but thats £30, which is more than he'd want to be paying really.

anyone got any good advice on how to get his forks to bounce happily again?

cheers

aloah sadexpunk

the boiling water sounds odd to me too. however, try n figure out :D

ask your k2 dealer. maybe they got some left in stock.

ride on

Slim is your man . Pm him .

The boiling water trick works for about 1 week , after they go even harder .

yep , can get some , let me know , the list grows longer !!

mind you for £30.00 the RAPID DESCENT upgrade is pretty good

if your ODS is still working ??

K2 no longer hold parts for girvin / proflex

they passed them on to IRONHORSE bikes

they do still have some availabe , but they are in the US

slim

slim

yep, my mate wants some, but doesnt want to be paying much as there comes a point where the forks just get too expensive. what are you saying, you can get the replacement elastomer? and if so how much would it be?

also you mention the list getting longer. does this mean theres a wait for you being able to get them?

ODS? dunno what that means, but he says if he takes the elastomer off, the fork seems to be moving fine without it, so i assume everything is ok apart from that.

and ironhorse? i take it that with imports and postage etc, a replacement from them would be over the £30 mark too?

thanks for your help

ODS = oil damping system / the shock ,

when i said the list gets longer , originaly i had 1 or 2 wanted some
the elastomer comes in 500mm lengths so it depends on how many want / how much i order , thats all :LOL:

the only place that sold them in the UK closed last month , and you would be looking at £32.00 for a new pair for the front forks

i can probably do them for about £15.00 for the pair posted

so for the cost of the elastomers it seems a shame to bin the forks , when the spring upgrade is £30.00 too

only waiting to see if it was worth me ordering more than one length

going to cost me about £70.00 for two lengths so need to be certain they will go

ironhorse sell them for $16.00 each so £18.00 pair and postage say about £24.00 total

thanks slim

thanks slim, ill get on to him and get back to you.

from my point of view im confused. you say oil damping system but i was under the impression those forks were just mechanical, with an elastomer that gave them movement. they got oil in them too?

obviously my mate probably knows the score, mebbes just me being a bit ignorant of them.

you say £32 for a new pair? a pair of what? does matey just not need 1 elastomer?

you say you can do 'them' for £15 a pair. so am i right in assuming he needs a 'pair' of elastomers, and you can get his forks sorted for £15 posted? and he needs nothing else? he wont need those springs as well?

excuse my ignorance :)

thanks a lot

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=proflex

right , in the link you will see in the middle pic the forks

the brass part is the ODS it is the damping for the elastomers

if you dont have that it is like riding with just a spring , a bit bouncy !!

you will notice there are TWO elastomers ( the yellow parts with a spacer in between )

he may have an earlier type , which has one elastomer and no spacer

either way about £15.00 , i am trying to buy enough to get everyone who wants some enough to do their frame / forks

so not selling them per piece , trying to split the length per person

so the more there are the cheaper they get them

and Yes there is oil in the ODS

one other thing the elastomers i get are green not yellow

hope this helps slim

cheers for that slim

so if my mate says yes please, when could he expect to get sorted? and is there any relevance in the green? its the same material?

thanks a lot

if he wants some yes he can , and yes its the same although better material

probably at the end of the month ordering , not sure of arrival in his hands , got to come to me first then on to him

ask him and let me know slim

Back