Early Saracen Mountainbike

mattrixdesign2

Retro Guru
Hi

Newbie here :oops:

I have just won this in Ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Early-Saracen ... 1000455087

... mainly wanted as I pub bike/something to knock about on and not worry about it too much.

Since reading these forums I am thinking I may what to spend time on it, getting it working and looking nice, I like the all orange colour.

Any how any ideas what it is... Tuff Trax? And Year? Early 90s sounds about right. I hope to collect it in the next day or so.

Also - was that a fair price? I was looking for something at the low end of the moment. I missed a few Dynatechs for about £50 and various others, £29 cant be too much to spend, can it?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
looks a good deal to me ;)

Sling some knobbly tyres on that and hit the dirt, show the young folk of today what a proper mtb is all about :cool:

Great price looks like it's all there

A bit of love and a bit of know how and that'll be very cool

Saw it myself on my travels of t'bay, liking the colour too

You got it for pocket money. Good job

Edit: I see what looks like a Sakae Oval Tech chainset, that and the style of the stem is making me think late '80s. 88ish? Don't recognise the model of bike off-hand

But once you have it you can ID it positively

Maybe you can find it in here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... e/Saracen/

you'd spend that on a meal with the wife quite easily.....its a bargain, so collect it with a smile and join the community!..... :D

I collected it (a nightmare to find!), its not too bad condition, mechanically every thing is sound (no loose wheels, bb, headset etc), it fits nice, quite light, gears shift, brakes are as good as I expect for cantis (i.e. rubbish).

The gears/levers are all shimano, rear brake is a U-Brake, front are cantis, rear mech looks to be SIS, the shifters are the old thumbie type, with the little dial in the middle.

Frame labeled as Tange.

I will get some photos if anyone is interested.

So it begins... it has lots of layers of old oil, what is the best value degreaser I can buy, I will be cleaning everything in situ, I dont have time to dimantel it all, new tyres/inner tubes, and perhaps some brake blocks and cables.

This will be more of a utility bike projects, lots of cleaning to do, not a restoration.

New blocks would be a great idea

There is no reason for cantis to be rubbish apart from poor set up

And properly set up U brakes are like vices!

So any decals giving away the model name? Is it a Tuff Trax?

And what is that chainset?

Get some proper pics up!

There is a clear Saracen logo near the bottom of the main tube, and something near the top, badly worn/faded.

Pics will follow, just not the time right now.

Back