GT with no name

Hansolo

Retro Newbie
I have just bought the GT in the picture and there are no markings on the frame. All I can say about it is that it was originally bought in the UK and then was brought to Malta. It is fully equipped with Deore DX fittings including the crank and pedals. Shimano brakes and shifters STI7. Quick-Release hubs also Shimano and Alesa black rims. Front brake is cantilever with a pulley under the handlebar. Rear brake cable goes into the top tube and exits under the saddle. I will be very grateful if somebody can identify the model and maybe the year of this GT bike.

The serial number is punched on the saddle tube just above the lower bracket. No 890255.

Attachments

• Pictures 001.jpg
    Pictures 001.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 995
Quick guess 90/91 Avalanche or Karakoram.
Got any more pix. Better pix of rear dropouts and left hand of top tube would help.

I'm a bit stumped by that. The lack of a separate seat clamp suggests lower range, but the groupset, assuming it's original, suggests better.

Also, the end cap angle looks strange.

And I'm sure all the early GTs I've seen have had the cable routing going in the left-hand side of the top tube, rather than the right.

I'm looking forward to someone identifying it though and learning a little more!

That might not actually be a GT - 1" headset, those forks (I forget the name but I have two sets), different cable routing, different rear stay positioning and style, who knows.

The GT's frame design is very old and is called a 'Hellenic' frame with the triple triangle. Its explained on this site better than I can.

Charlieboy28":1035cqe8 said:
its a Marin :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Its a zaskar.

hellenic1.jpg

its a trakatak perhaps an example of that ancient frame design ridden by Helen of Troy herself no less

Attachments

• trakatak.jpg
    trakatak.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 904
I found pictures of an early Karakoram with an integrated seat clamp and cable entering the right side of the top tube (but not the same) but the end cap is still the wrong angle:

26bikegt2.jpg

Hmm intregral seatclamp and DX components could be 1990 Avalanche/Karakoram but I have no idea what's going on with that Groovetube coming out of the wrong side !

Latest posts

Back