Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:42 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:29 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

If they work, there will be a sudden up surge in his sales from some retrobikers! I agree that pauls stuff may be nice, but is it really worth that much cash, probably not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:46 pm 
Retro Guru

Everyone note tho: Its just the right hand they do as SA only use one lever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:00 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Sunrace slm96 look like a pair of 8 or 9 x 3 thumb shifters, can't find them out side of the sunrace web site though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 am 
Retro Guru

Those sunrace look exactly the same as the sturmey archer 5spd.

In fact Sunrace own SA nowadays I think so likely they are the same.

Some reports on the internet that the Sunrace M90 are friction shift only on the right hand shifter and index/friction on the left hand. too bad theres no UK source to try them.

I would expect trying to friction shift a 9/10 speed mtb cassette would be difficult!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:38 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Ok so shifter came today 15 quid posted,,, First impression is quiet good and build quality is high..

so yep they have a 5 click indexed pull and obviously wont work with a Shimano/any name rear mech...

I hunted around the workshop for my dura ace friction shifters to get the levers off and see what would happen, stupidly I could only find the LH one not that is really an issue but for better looks I would try very hard to find the RH one...

So did it fit????? Well yes it did 100% ok I also tried an old Sunrace downtube lever to see also... Whilst I was at it I thought heck why not just try and get the sturmey lever apart and see what I can do and if its covertable to friction only..

I took the lever apart from the bar mount and the mech inside is held togeather with what looks like a clip type fastener (hard to describe) I put dow rod just bigger than the hole and gave it a hit, sure enough it all fell apart but all parts where ok...

There is a ball bearing in there that supplies the indexing so I removed that and all your left with is a bunch of spacers, I put an extra spacer in there to compensate for the bearing put it all back togeather and it seems to work perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

I wont be able to really test it out fitted and ridden on a bike untill Monday but defo looks like we have a non expensive option to the Paul's thumbies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:42 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Good to know :) do you reckon it would be poss to switch it round to fit on the lh side for front duties? Oh and does it give enough throw on the rear mech for 8/9 speed cassettes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:38 pm 
Retro Guru

Fantastic :) I'm going to get some 10spd dura ace index bar end shifters and use one of these to donate a bar mount and run 1x10 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:31 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Haha the thumbie is back!

On the RH at least:-D

Last edited by hydorah on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:04 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Could I see a pic of the underside of it please, and does the cable stop move or is it fixed in that position?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:59 am 
Dirt Disciple

It comes apart in 3 pieces so im sure a few configs are on offer, sadly i only had about 15mins to mess with it earlier...

before everyones goes and buys let me test it proper and i will give indepth feedback :lol:

i will add more pics soon..

There is a wide allowance for cable travel and would be sure it will be fine even with a 10speed..

Im gona run it on a 9 XT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next