Drilling Cracked Rims - Result !

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
A while ago on the epic "Crap advice" thread, the little known concept of drilling cracked rims was put to the savvy RB public.

Last Monday I was blessed with a cracked rim, and with a positive mind thought it was a great opportunity to try this idea practically.

I'm pretty sure the crack will not spread anymore when considering the stress and fracture points.

Have I got it right?

;)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,144
You're going to want to countersink the holes so they don't catch on the brake pads.

I'd get some fibreglass filler in there too, for added strength and also to neaten it up. It will be practically invisible too so you could almost pass the rims off as nos.

If you continue drilling all the way round the rim will not only be lighter but it will cool quicker like a vented disc brake.
Everyone knows cooler rims means quicker stopping so what you have done is taken a dangerous rim and made it safer than a new one - kudos to you!

pete_mcc":7gd83hsf said:
If you continue drilling all the way round the rim will not only be lighter but it will cool quicker like a vented disc brake.
Everyone knows cooler rims means quicker stopping so what you have done is taken a dangerous rim and made it safer than a new one - kudos to you!

ah but imagine the weight saving as well you could have the lightest rims out of all your mates as well :)

pete_mcc":1q1wz4u6 said:

I think the best function of said rim is the instant failure feature no more punctures miles from home. Don't worry about me lads, have a good ride, i'll wait for you in the pub.

Looks good to me. Some more holes would however improve strength. It's what's known as a 'drillium matrix'. Now that is scientific fact — there's no real evidence for it — but it is scientific fact.

Back