1994 Marin Team Issue Resto

ringo

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Have now changed this thread to a restoration thread from the initial enquiry about removing lacquer from the frame.

Perhaps a mod could move this to the pre 97 readers bikes section...

Update is on page 2...

Being the lucky chap I am, I have dropped on a 1994 Marin Team Issue...

It was going to be a splitter, but following a homage to the cave from Marc Twotone, he has convinced me that this has project written all over it! (thanks Marc! :cool: )

The finish on the frame seems to be anodized covered in lacquer... The lacquer has broken down in places giving the frame a mottled look.

There are also plenty of small rust spots... but that's another story.

Does anyone know a method for removing the lacquer without damaging the anodizing... Alternatively, does anyone know a firm that can re-anodize the entire frame in the original silvery bronze colour...

Early days, but build would be as close to original spec as possible...

We live in exciting times.... getting my buzz for higher end Marins back!! :D :D

i'm sure i read on here about someone using scrunched up tin foil to remove laquer.

not 100% because i've had a rather sleep deprived week & can't be bothered searching for it but I think i'm right! (and its the thought that counts!)

I'm guessing if there is rust then the frame is not alloy or titanium, which makes anodising very unlikely. I wouldn't use any paint stripper unless you are happy to have a very clean frame!

Aren't these frames nickel plated steel which is then laquered?

Don't know what effect strippers have on the nickel but probably worth a bit of research first.

doctor-bond":1jgn3cvp said:
Aren't these frames nickel plated steel which is then laquered?

Don't know what effect strippers have on the nickel but probably worth a bit of research first.

Ah yes, you're absolutely right! So paint stripper won't kill the finish, just strip the lacquer and decals.
Most platers can re-nickel plate although an issue can be that removing the old can weaken the underlying metal. Its the same reason why most platers will not warranty any replating.

Probably best stripping and polishing the rust out and then re-lacquering to protect.

Back