Whats the Oldest Most Retro MTB/ATB You Own ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
A large majority of bikes ridden by the retro community seem to be from the 1990's which might be the golden age of mtb/atb.

What bikes do you the retro community regularly ride that date from the previous decade.

I have a Schwinn Mesa Runner from about 86-87 which was 2nd bottom from the schwinn atb range at the time. Despite its age it was an early taiwanese mass production effort from the Giant factory. The geometry is all slack and rear biased and will be 15 speed when I get it back closer to original spec. Need to source some frog leg canti brakes but draw the line at steel wheel rims.

Look forward to hearing about the old stuff !

I've got a 1930s Hazel Star, which was raced by my grandfather in the 30s (most of the roads were still dirt then). My dad and uncle used it extensively around the family farm in the 60s and I used it as a single speed MTB in the 80s (it was that or walk).

Does that count? ;)

My 89 Rockhopper comp is my oldest MTB

main.php

Since I gave my 87/88 Dawes Wildcat away it would be the (probably) 1990/91 Saracen Kili Flyer Comp. Still running original brakes, front mech and rear brake cable:

Attachments

• Kili#1.jpg
    Kili#1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 2,428
Back