Gary Fisher AL-1 1991 - Now breaking...

Swiftacular

Retro Newbie
Picked up my first retro machine today, and was looking for some advice and guidance. Im far from a cycling novice, and even now run a bikeshop, but im aware there are others on here who are very knowledgable on these matters.
Ill sort pics as i can if required, but basically, its a GF AL-1, blue, and as far as my research goes, i think its 91, but the 91 catalogue is hard to find.
So not only do i not have an original spec list, i believe it was uograded at the time of purchase, as it has anodised blue Ringle hubs, skewers and seat qr, an Xlite ti bar, Rockshox Mag forks in gold and i believe possibly an xlite post.
Structurally its good, no cracks obvious, but its had some scuffs recently, and could do with a respray of both forks and frame. This is the easy part.
I just wondered if anyone knew of which parts, gear wise especially, would be proper to refit, as its had a recently (well relative to its age) fitted xt rear mech and grip shift.
Im not sure whether to try take it back to more appropriate parts, or just possibly ebay it, if its going to be prohibitively expensive to do?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I can't help with the original spec, but if you do find that the hubs/wheels are something that end up surplus to requirements, they would suit a project I'm working on, I may even have a wheelset that might help you restore it back to whatever it had, as I've a few sets of wheels I'm not using right now as they don't suit any projects.

photo7.JPG

More pictures herehttps://picasaweb.google.com/PhilEaton82/GaryFisherAL1

I'm sure that's worth doing up as long as its not to make money on!
Does it fit?
Looks like it should have a M730 rear mech.
The hubs are probably worth a bit too.

I'm not doing it to make money on, but only cost me £30, so can afford a little to get it period. Got rear mech and shifter/levers sorted. Just need grips, saddle, tyres and front mech, then tackle a respray of fork and frame.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like you were just doing it to make money on.
I meant it might not be the most desirable frame especially in that size if you were to sell it :)

If you paid £30 then you got a bargain!

I wasn't getting shirty, dont worry.
I think the size is good, must be about 20", but I'm 5'10" and as in the pic it's a good fit.
Had a spin on it, and probably because of the skinny tyres, and weighing as much as a gnats fart, (in comparison to my far from shabby Pace), its damn rapid.
Loving the wheels, and the narrow purposeful bars. Hating the current grip shift, but it's going soon.
Think I've someone to respray it and the forks too. Anybody on here able to help with replacement decals?

Back