Frame damage after shot blasting..........TA DA!

Johnboy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anybody seen anything like this before? I took it back to the guys that did it and they say they have blasted frame tubing much thinner than this before without any damage. Maybe it's filler? Or perhaps rust, it does look a bit discoloured inside the seat tube in that area, but the rest of the frame shows no rust.

It's an Alpinestars Cro-mega and the damage is on the seat tube. Is it repairable and can anyone recommend a good repairers in the South East if it is?

I would appreciate any advice you can give because I'm at a loss.

Cheers

John.

Attachments

• P3140309.JPG
    P3140309.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 2,427
I'm no expert, but that looks to have taken way more than just shot blast. Looks like something has really almost stabbed it with a short sharp blow. I am happy to be told otherwise though. I certainly hope its not because they have damaged it at least.

Hope you get it sorted ok :cry:

looks like rust to me.
Or hard to tell in the photo but could it be someone has pushed a seatpost in to far?

I know, it looks like they gave it both barrels! But they are swearing they've never seen anything like it before.

onza100 - I was wondering about that, it is right where the tubing begins to curve.

It happened a lot when people didn't do their posts up tight enough. Was worse in the alloy frames!

This is good stuff guys, I reckon that area was weakened by the seatpost.

I also think you might be right about shot blasting being too aggressive, so what's the alternative, soda blasting? I thought as this was steel it would be alright.

Ask them what they used to blast it with. There are many types of media they use from iron ferrite to crushed walnut shells. Makes a hell of a difference what they use.

Back