Old school riding photos

rutteger

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Dyna-Tech Fan
Let's see some old school riding photos then. To get the ball rolling here's one of 'a friend' back in around 1991.

oldskool.jpg

Please note the 1991 GT Karakoram, Blue iridium frogskins, Onza bar ends WITH tape, power grips, hitec riding boots (far too big) and slightly suspect MBUK pose. Oh, that was quite a steep slope as it goes.

Let's see if this works

I'm going to see whether the photo attachment works for me. Here is "old school," a converted Schwinn on Repack in 1976.

If you see a photo, it worked.

Attachments

• ckrepack.jpg
    ckrepack.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 3,904
Re: Let's see if this works

Repack Rider":51gnhr62 said:
If you see a photo, it worked.

Worked a treat.

Great photo, is that yourself Repack Rider?

I was, er, born in 1976 !

is that yourself Repack Rider?

Yes. Hence the name.

Here's another Repack photo. The bike I'm riding is assembled on a frame built for me in 1976, the first attempt to custom-build an off-roader. I wasn't happy with the geometry, and returned it to the frame builder.

Dumb.

Unbelievably collectible bike, and the amount of money involved, $130, was not so much that I couldn't have afforded to keep it. The framebuilder died some years back, and I have been unable to locate this frame, although I heard a rumour that it had gone to Australia.

This scan sucks. I'll do another.

Attachments

• ck_repack1.jpg
    ck_repack1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 3,888
Who built the frame in the second shot? Shame you sold it, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and all.

Amazing pictures, keep them coming !

Not a great shot

I found this snapshot on the bottom of the pile. It's not a good photograph as photographs go, but it shows me handing a Repack prize to Gary Fisher. I'm standing on the rock that marked the finish line and the platform from which results were announced. Looks like Gary won a derailleur or possibly a crankset. From my outfit I'd say 1978 or 1979.

Attachments

• ckandgary.jpg
    ckandgary.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 3,862
This is fun

I'm having fun now! And my scanner is smokin'! Well somebody is, anyway.

How's this one? Front page of the Crested Butte Chronicle (duh!) dated (duh).

You've seen other versions of this photo, primarily credited to Wende Cragg, who is in the picture and had handed her camera to a Jeep driver who was watching the fun. This was taken by a local photographer.

From left to right, Wende Cragg, Neil Murdock (Richard Bannister) who is partially obscured, Richard Nilsen, me, Joe Breeze, Jim Cloud, Bob Starr, Richard Ullery, Gary Fisher, "Archie" Archuleta, Chris *******, Albert Maunz.

Attachments

• cb_chronicle2.jpg
    cb_chronicle2.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 3,860
This is pretty old

Gary Fisher took this photo of me with his Hasselblad camera in 1979, and we used it everywhere.

The bike was Gary's personal bike, one of the first three Ritchey MTBs built. For the first six months of our business, I didn't even own a Ritchey because I didn't have the money for one, and we had to convert every bike we had into cash just to keep the business going.

Attachments

• ckwithbike.JPG
    ckwithbike.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,843
Not in Repack Riders League

Not in repack riders league here, but here goes:

potteries93-1.jpg

Potteries Classic 1993

The Bike:
1992 GT Karakoram with:
Pro-Circuit elastomer forks
Hope Mechanical disc brakes from the 2nd batch
Home machined mount for front caliper leading the fork leg (if you look you can see the front disc is on RH side of fork. This was the only way to mount the brakes on the Pro-Circuits and I machined up the custom mount after the Hope forging snapped at Eston during warmup for the dual slalom).
Onza Racing Porcupine and Ritchey Megabite tyres
All drivetrain upgraded to XT, including XT thumbies running cack-handed and under the bars (I blame Brant Richards)
Flite saddle
Royce Bottom Bracket (still going strong on it's second set of bearings in another bike)
Control Tech bar ends

Me:
Sidi Dominator shoes in all the colours
Specialized Sub-Six
Oakley Sub-Zeroes
Camelbak Racebak

Back