Girvin Vector 2 info / photo request

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have just got a pair of Vector 2 forks from ebay. They were the silver ones that were not quite right if anyone was watching.

Got the damper unit sorted, that was not too much of a puzzle, but I have noticed that two of the 'top hat' pivot bushes appear to have the silicone washers on the inside missing.

As all these washers seem to do is keep mud, dust and other high speed detritus from the bearings, I can easily replace them with O rings, but a close up photo of the pivots or just confirmation that there should be washers on the inside of all four top hats would be useful.

I'd be grateful for any info.

Thanks.

I'm sure there's a guy on ebay (US) that sells kits of plastic washers/bushes or whatever they're called for Vectors for about £10 plus postage

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You mean the black 'washers' you can see in this pic? They would be necessary to stop metal on metal wear, and take up a little play. Not sure O-rings would be suitable as these washers are quite hard.

DSCF2026.jpg

DSCF2029.jpg

apache":3ppunyqm said:
You mean the black 'washers' you can see in this pic? They would be necessary to stop metal on metal wear, and take up a little play. Not sure O-rings would be suitable as these washers are quite hard.

DSCF2026.jpg

The V2 is slightly different, but what I am talking about are the washers that in this picture are between the narrow end of the top hat bush and the stem.

I appear to have one missing from the top and one from the bottom, but I have just ordered a couple of the kits that D-C suggested, as there appear to be a number of the washers / O rings fitted to most of the linkages.

In the meantime, I can get busy polishing...... after I've finished the OH's Marin.

Further update on the Girvin seal kit.

Despite the listing stating that shipping to Europe is $14.99, they ended up cancelling my order, as the invoice showed shipping at $104.

I sent them a cut'n'paste of their listing, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

So, O rings and lube it is then.

I used to cut up hosepipe very thinly as a temporary (but quite effective!) measure :shock:

Back