Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:47 pm 
Retro Guru

I will do that tomorrow morning in the better light! Thanks a lot!

Mx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:11 am 
Old School Grand Master

Maxipedia wrote:
I will do that tomorrow morning in the better light! Thanks a lot!

Mx

I've seen other quotes on line that reference this bike to the 98-99 time peroid but the decaling isn't consistent with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:33 am 
Retro Guru

Are you sure those aren't my quotes looking for info? Or maybe I am just a terrible searcher on Google... Hm, interesting what you say about the decals, as I am pretty sure they are late nineties. The font on "Moto" looks the same like on other period GT's.

Now let me see what I can do with a flash on that D70... :)

I'll be back!
Mx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:57 am 
Retro Guru

That's one cool 'lil bike, Don't know anything about the model but just thought i'd add my appreciation of it and your pics.
Sure you could get a bit higher and sideways on that table top jump though.. the bike looks light enough to flick about!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:55 am 
Retro Guru

Okay, so here are some crappy pictures I took a few minutes ago:

Serial numbers are I0608A (embossed on the driveside part of the BB shell) and LM1044P (on the opposite side of the BB shell)

I can't say anything relevant about the original spec on this bike. I bought it as second hand from a shop of a friend and basically told him what parts to take from other bikes. I am not sure that even the stem is original, handlebar definitely isn't, but fork, headset and 1-piece BMX crank plus steel chainring and chain protection are. Please take note that there is no cantilever cablestop and that it has brake mounts, so it means it came equipped with front and rear brake, if that means anything. Since there is no derailleur hanger and dropouts are horizontal it either came as singlespeed or with a Nexus hub, but there are no cable stops for the latter, so I guess singlespeed it must've been...

What do you think my chances are if contacting GT directly? I know times have changed, but some 8 years ago they were really helpful with stickers; they pretty much sent me what they had handy for free.

Thanks for the interest and your kind words again! I can't wait to finish the other projects and start this klunker!

Mx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:13 pm 
Dirt Disciple

i used to have a yellow one years ago but chucked it out as i wasn't into the cruiser thing back then...duh stupid thing to do!! (got it cheap second hand form bike shop) here in NZ they were ultra rare as well special order only if i remember right.

yours has been upgraded with vastly superior parts, OE parts were really cheap and definately nothing to shout about. Hi Ten steel frame, generally were just a cruise around town thing originally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:28 pm 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg

Quote:
What do you think my chances are if contacting GT directly?

Gm has already asked for details, and he's probably better than speaking to people at GT. He IS GT on here!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:55 pm 
Retro Guru

@ Rob: I couldn't know that GM is the official GT authority around here as I am, like you see, a bit new. (I don't mean the former sentence in any ironic way, just for the record!) Like I said, I have a good history contacting GT in the past, so I thought maybe it is worth a shot. I mean, even if it sounds childish, if I worked at GT and somebody would contact me for such a reason, I'd give him any help I could, because in the long shot it's how you keep a customer. I'll be patient and wait for a reply, no worries! :)

@ Hamtaro: I'd say "don't stress out, mate, it's just a bike", but I'd be lying my ass off, now would I? ;)

The main idea is that I find this bike a bit intriguing, as it is very uncommon for a brand like GT and I find it even more intriguing that there are so little records about something that is a mere 14 years ago.

Thank you for all your replies! Really.
Mx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:29 pm 
Retro Guru

I reopen this, as the beast is slowly taking shape...

It needs a chain and grips and to make everything work together. The fork is a bit short and I also wish for a 3-piece crankset.

Mx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:56 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

One of the Kustom Kruisers is for sale on Gumtree near(ish) to me:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next