Track Two forks and advice

adamgent

Kona Fan
I have a 1990 Explosif frame which I would like to rebuild. I also have a few retro parts to get me on my way, including an original decal set, ready for its respray.

I am after a pair of Kona Track Two forks. Can anyone help? Top money paid.

Advice: If I cant get the forks, I have an early set of Pace RC30 rigid forks in chrome. Rather than going for a replica paint job should I put on the Pace forks and have the bike chrome'd with original decals? Almost paying homage!

Let me know your opinions!

Not too sure, and I am open to correction, but from memory the Project 2's have more of an angle than the RC30's (I know they are straight, I mean from the head tube!) My guess is that the RC30s would make the Explosif feel a bit twitchy at speed. They'd look cool though!

Should be ok

The offset might be slightly different between P2s & RC30s but it should be fine with either. More important would be the length. A '90 Explosif won't have suspension corrected geometry and the old RC30s shouldn't be suspension corrected so it should be fine.

Chrome plating a frame could be expensive.

Good luck with the project and finding some Track 2 forks! :)

Later

Fluff

Not a lot of good i know, but here's a track two advert ....

y9007l.jpg

chroming a bike brings along a new set of problems. remeber the orginal bonty clamp up forks & 92era marin team issues. both suffered sweating where the nickel platin over the steel stops the steel from breathing. basically a major potential rust problem. Go for a period kona paint job, powdercoat is cheap, looks good & is hard wearing.

http://www.yetifan.com/scantfro3ws.jpg £30 powdercoat job :D

Track 2 forks.

If I remember right, I once read a recall note in an old mbuk or something for track 2 forks as the crown seemed to crack after a while with disastrous consequences to the rider :cry: , I think thats why they are so hard to come by.

T2 recall notice

Found it! MBUK June 1991, Reason they are so hard to find these days..................

Attachments

• kona recall.JPG
    kona recall.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 3,349
Wow

Thanks for the input chaps, especially the advert and recall notice! I'm constantly amazed at the stuff that gets dragged out and dusted off on these forums!

Cheers

Back