Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:31 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 58%  58%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 26 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 195
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:34 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello everyone, Daz from Worcester UK here and I'm still currently blasting around on my 17yr old Mount Vision. Ace!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:01 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi folks,

I have been building and trading Old School BMX's for a while and decided to get back into MTB's on a small scale (by just getting 1)

I am a complete novice in this field but just really liked this bike

I didnt want any thing new but wanted something that was fairly rare with nice parts ......

....this is what I have bought. The original came with it and they are in very good condition but have some minimal dry rot

Let me know what you think, its 100% survivor and all original. 2 owners and hardly used :D 6 miles or so since 1997 and was used for a week before that!!!

11.5 KG for a steel bike :shock: in 1993 :shock: :shock: Is it me or does that seem light for an MTB of this age?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:50 am 
Devout Dirtbag

This is a great forum! All the bikes I loved back in the day.

I started mountain biking in '92 in Ontario, moved to Vancouver Island in '93 and rode a lot for several years and am just getting back into it. I owned a '93 Bontrager and mostly rode that for years, now I have an '87 Jamis Dakar that I took for a hard ride on the weekend. It performed admirably.

I've brazed a couple frames and am collecting tubing and parts for a few more bikes. Apart from a couple rigid mountain bikes I'd like to build a repro of a BSA paratrooper bike.

Ted

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:02 am 
Dirt Disciple

Apologies, I missed this thread when I joined.

Hello everyone. I've been pottering around on my bike for the last 40 years, but never really got into going for a ride just for a laugh until recently. I found this site because I have an old bike. I don't really want a newer one and I couldn't afford it anyway.

Oh, I'm in the deep south of Italy. Rolling countryside, and the roads are in such a bad state it's difficult to tell where the asphalt stops and the dust starts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:49 am 
Dirt Disciple

HELLO! from Southern California,USA.I found this site while looking for parts.I recently "bought back" a bike I sold to a friend in 1995,a 1994 Ventana Marble Peak.Not as pretty as it used to be,but I love this bike more now than I did then...lol.It needs some lovin' bad!So far I found front rim set-up,brand new never ridden(ringle,mavic,dt swiss, with blue nips.$70) at LBS the other day.Came with Bontrager Ti seat(kept it)but,switched out to make it comfortable to ride.I've added pics, one of bottom bracket,can anyone tell me if they recognize the make of it?How to repaint the magnesium Judy DH's.If there is a forum that please let me know.Bike has cool components-Magura hydraulics(r) All XTR drivetrain/shifters Ringle Kooka Holey skewers seat post clamp SIMS Litening Cranks Avid Tri aligns,Club Roost Go Fast bars...Thanks for reading this "short story".

Attachments:
20131014_223628 (1).jpg
20131014_223628 (1).jpg [ 109.17 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]
20131015_124857.jpg
20131015_124857.jpg [ 194.78 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm 

I fell over this forum while checking the german forum mtb-news.de for a vintage bike frame. I started biking in 1988 with a lugged italian Atala in of course neon colours. Mostly fooled around with tryin do do jumps and wheelies, then made a road trip on it to the french Riviera. Got more into sportive cycling and switched to a Fat Chance Yo Eddy in 1992. Worked all summer in a factory for it. Went to the french Alps with it for years and years, did MTB marathons such as the swiss Grand Raid Cristalp. I met a french guy in the Alps who let me try his Scapin bike - I was impressed, it was much better than my Yo. Quicker, more precise in tricky single trail which was what I was doing. So I got myself a Scapin Blato (Columbus Nemo steel) in 1997. Hell of a bike. Rode it till 2005 when I got me a Scapin Arke Columbus Spirit. Again a great bike, still ride it. Friend of mine always dreamt of a Yo Eddy. He got one off Ebay recently, but it was too small. Gave it to me, and here I am, back in the saddle of this old Yo again... Just got a new Yo fork rebuilt, now it´s going to be painted - in my favorite guitar´s colour.
I´ve been reading a lot in this forum without engaging myself because I wasn´t sure if I was going to built up an old bike. I found it very relaxed and I´m happy to join it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:46 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi,
I discovered this forum during the search for parts and ideas for my little resto/upgrade project. As much as I like my new school fully, I love old school bikes :-)

Regards Alex from Germany

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:11 pm 

Hey all,

Another n00b here to the site!
came across this site in the search for Sticker decal for a '93/94 Marin Bear Valley..

have come to the end of my real first restoration of an old skool MTB. :)
and have had real fun doing it!
the reason i went through the whole restoration process was to get back into riding a bike again. but you can walk into an shop and buy a bike and put it the shed and say i start riding next week. my approach was to find a bike i wanted as a Teenager, rebuild it and then after rebuilding it i will then want to ride because of the hours i put into it.

well thats it in a nutshell, will post the pics of the strip and rebuild soon..

hopefully chat soon..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:06 pm 

My name is John and I have been riding road bikes off and on since 1986. My current road bike is a 1986 Cannondale, 7 Speed, Shimano retro-friction, my "good" bike is a 1988 Cannondale Criterium, 7 speed Dura Ace, Simplex retro-friction. I am the original owner of both.

I'm here at the Mountain Bike forum because last July my son convinced me to try mountain biking and with a donated 1993 GT (non-butted CroMo frame, 1" Mag 21, 2x7 gearing) and a bunch of parts off ebay, I hit the trails and I'm loving it. And one more thing, I'm 61.

I've been reading posts on Retrobike since I first got the GT. And I'm in the process of building up a 1995 Trek 970. I'll use what I can off the GT for now and see how it goes.

Glad to be here.

John

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:28 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi guys and gals, my name is Justin. I have been cycling since i could stay upright on a bike, progressed through choppers, grifters and bmx's and aqquired my first MTB in 1989, a Raleigh Mustang SIS! I got my first proper MTB a GT Tequesta in 1992, and progressed onto then a Zaskar LE in ball burnished finish and a Team RTS.
I still own my original 1994 Zaskar LE and my 1994 Team RTS, they were put into storage a few years back but i have since brought them out and restored and upgraded them where necessary but trying to stay fairly old skool and oe where i can!
My current bikes are:
1994 GT Zaskar LE ball burnished 16 inch
1994 GT Team RTS ball burnished 16 inch
1997 GT Zaskar ball burnished 14.5 inch (the Mrs's bike!)
2009 GT Aggressor purple 16 inch
**Wanted** GT Xizang 16 inch frame or complete bike!!

I have been around bikes so long so nice to join a forum where i can gain some more knowledge and hopefully meet up with likeminded people! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 78  Next