Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:10 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 59%  59%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 25 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 194
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:49 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all,

This evening I brought back home the Orange P7 I bought new around 1993.. its a long time ago, but I remember the day I bought it, and bringing it home then, in the back of 2.8 Capri ..

But lets go back a few years.. In the mid 80's I had a lovely Pearl white and blue Raleigh Road Ace, first bike I had with a Shimano group set. I loved that bike, till it got nicked, I was gutted.. Anyway, luckily the house insurance paid up, £350, which was a lot of money back then. No idea why but I went out and bought one of those new fangled Mountain bikes.. A Raleigh Appalachian, with its oval chain rings and stick of rock colours scheme.. turquoise, white and pink, Reynolds 531 frame. At the time it was one down from the most expensive MTB Raleigh made.. that was black and very cool, but cant recall its name. I had that a few years but didn't use it much, as it was really a little small for me and I was busy earning a living. I sold it to a mate at work, and bought an Orange Clockwork instead. This was much better, lighter, more nimble and it fit me. A year or two later my brother wanted an MTB. so I sold it to him, which gave me the excuse to buy the then new P7.

I put a lot of miles on my trusty P7, but five ago finally replaced it with a Scott Scale 20, Carbon Frame and suspension forks! The P7 was relegated to the back of the garage and only used when I went on errands and had to leave it locked up somewhere, something I wouldn't do with my Scott.

Then I lent it out to a mate who'd had his own DH bike nicked, that was five years ago, and today I got it back :D . Pretty much the same as it left me, except the Stem has been changed.. apparently it snapped! and one of the shifters has been replaced.

The nickel plated lacquered frame is still mint, as are the original wheels and cranks etc, so it would be nice to find an original stem (SK8?).

Oh, and it seems my Clockwork is still sitting in my brothers shed, hardly used and still original..think I may offer him a few quid to get it back.

Finally, I'd love to get another Road Ace, it'll have to just like the one I had, in pearl white and blue. I just missed a really nice one on Ebay a few weeks ago, but I'll keep an eye out. I don't know if spares are still available, but if they are, I'm sure I could restore one to good as new.

File comment: My first MTB.. around 1988 .. still got that coat!
oldbike 002a.jpg
oldbike 002a.jpg [ 185.37 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:18 pm 

Hi name Mike race DH in the 90's just getting back in to riding. my bike is a 97 KHS fxt team still rides great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:10 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:04 pm 

Hi all ! I'm Merri, living in France (close to the castle of Chambord) and 42 years old. I'm a triathlete but I love mountain bike also. I have two mountain bikes : SuperV 700 (1997) and Emery Quinto (very rare french bike, that I really love).
For the moment I do work on my Emery to put it back as it was when I bought it in 1995, but with a RS Mag 21 ; I discovered this forum via internet and am very happy with it, it is an incredible forum for all bike lovers !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:23 pm 

Hey all. I am Jared from Massachusetts (USA). I started mountain biking in high school which for me was 1997 and have been at it ever since. I have always loved the sport and try to get out on my bike(s) whenever I can. My first bike was a 1997 Trek 820 which at the time was decent enough for a high school kid like myself to start out with.

Fast forward to today and I own a 2000 Hardland Lightning hard tail, a 1995 Hardland FS1000 full sus, and a 1995 Trek 850 which I use for city riding and a good retro trail ride once in a while. I am partial to the parts, brands, and technology of the 90's which is why I find this site so fascinating. I hope to share some stories, pics, and questions with you folks in the near future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:48 pm 

A bit stuck in the past even with my ahem .. modern :facepalm: steel frame Massi, but am wanting to get a full rigid bike again.
First MTB was a Pacific Cycles Mountain Expert in about 1989/90.
Then a Diamond Back Apex that was stolen
A GT Borrego that broke in 2005.
and now on the Massi.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:18 pm 

evening chaps :lol:

thought id say hello and introduce myself, as you can see by my name im called bigdave

i always thought my mount vision was a relatively new bike until i discovered as its a 97 its now classed as "retro" :oops: so hence after a quick google i found myself here and so far im loving it :D

need to become mediumdave hence why ive dragged my bike out of the shed, pumped the tyres up and have been hitting the paths again, but as a 20 stone asthmatic im finding it harder than i remember, im finding it hard doing 15 miles now than the 60-100 mile rides i used to be able to do day in day out without my legs feeling like jelly and my arse feeling like ive been padded up with purple aki (you will have to google him.. he is a Liverpool legend)

so far ive already had an eventful time getting back into biking seeing as i rode into the canal last friday night at 1am killing my phone and near drowning...i had to tell my missus ive started training for a triathlon :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:25 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Hello, good evening and welcome!

image.jpg [ 42.88 KiB | Viewed 293 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:06 pm 

Hi found this site while trying to find out more about the frame I bought maybe someone can help it is a GT I drive just don't know what model it is as I bought it stripped down only identifying marks are an E mark 6061 custom stamps on the front triangle and a number stamped in the bottom bracket shell no-089800360
any help would be great also have read a lot about the frame cracking finding it a bit off putting

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:02 pm 

Hi everybody!

I am Carlos from Spain, I knew about this forum by spanish (I am user from the begining).

Let`s have a look to my mtb bikelist:
'90 Carrefour bike (Tange frame-Shimano 300 EX)
'93 Kona Hahanna
'95 EDR Furia (spanish handmade Fuji steel frame)
'96 Kona Kilauea
'00 GT Avalanche 0.0
'04 Specialized enduro (actualy riding)

Greetings from Spain!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 78  Next