Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:05 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 58%  58%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 26 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 195
 Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:04 pm 

Hi, I've been riding for about 22 years, into road and mtb. Currently rejuvinating a kona lave dome with the splatter paint. Found this forum looking for parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi, got my first mtb when I was 12 (97' appollo) and have been riding and racing since then. I found out about retrobike coz it was in the orange catalog I was given at a race. The guy gave me it said a bike like mine was in it, I was racing my rigid P7 at that one. Until then I had no idea other people had the same addiction.
My bikes are;
Orange P7 xtr rigid
Muddy fox courier comp rigid
Wheeler 2090 rigid
Cannondale Jekyl 900sl full suss
Saracen ltd edition
Kona hahhana joe murray 93' (brand new unused)
Kinesis maxlight hardtail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:02 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi All,

Don't know how much these threads overlap but I said a quick hello in the General Chat thread and I'm slowly working my way through the board.

My name's Jason and I've been tinkering with bikes since joining the A5 Rangers CC at 14.

Below is my latest custom MTB which I built myself (aside from welding the frame, obviously...) Hope you guys like it. I settled on a hardtail after swapping rides with my mate. He had a Specialized Rockhopper at the time and I was on a Barracuda Slalom full suspension. No contest, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:05 pm 

hi, i got my first mtb when I was 18, but that was long ago, in 1991.
it was a BH Force 12 , all steel, heavy like a tank, but fun to ride on those days when not many people had mountain bikes in spain 20 years ago.

i found out about retrobike because I'm trying to get more information about a bike that I recently bought on ebay (see marketwatch section)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:11 pm 

Hi,

Just got back in the saddle after selling my last mountain bike in 1996.
I've got myself a Kona Kula from 1995. The bike hasn't been restored and only the gear shifters have been changed. It's in great condition and I couldn't be happier.

Previous MTB:
Raleigh Mustang
1991 Claud Butler Pagan

Previous BMX:
1983 Raleigh Extra Burner
1997 Raleigh Boxfresh burner
1985 skyway streetbeat
1984 Raleigh Team Aero Pro Burner

The area I live in is great for cycling so I'm also looking at getting a bike for the girlfriend.

Cheers
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:44 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I nearly read that as getting a bike for a girlfriend.

I know we all love cycling but that'd be taking it to extremes! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:53 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Masterman wrote:
I nearly read that as getting a bike for a girlfriend.

I know we all love cycling but that'd be taking it to extremes! :wink:

I'm just saying...

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:22 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi guys! I am from Canada, and I love vintage bikes! I find restoring an old bike to be very relaxing.

I am a full time Comp Sci student so it is a good side hobby.

I have about 40 bikes at the moment which is a bit insane but it's better than cocaine I suppose!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:27 pm 
Dirt Disciple

G'day everyone, my name is Mattie and i'm a bike-a-holic. Originally a pom, I now live in Australia but there's not so much of a retro scene happening. I've had some awesome bikes I wish I'd never sold/give away/had stolen and being 30something I'm now desperately trying to re-live my childhood.

Anyone else here from Australia, more so WA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple

hello all. there, it's official. after signing up who knows when and lurking these many decades, i'm finally taking the a step and crossing the threshold. if you've read my micro-bio and few postings i placed at mtbr, you'll know that i've been a mtn biker since about 1985, here, in the lush forests of british columbia(nope, i was never a lumberjack) and broke my neck in '98 to become a card-carrying quadriplegic. in order to stay connected to a sport/activity i loved, i discovered that collecting old school mtbs, and primarily local/bc ones, filled a void that was left when i could no longer ride.

with inspiration from a few local fellow vrc-types who are already active here, on rbuk, and correspondence with folks who have been interested in lovely reto-bits i've started flogging on ebay for a friend, i figure i might as well get more active in sharing what little i know about old mountain bikes.

i think the best part about collecting these 'obsolete' old beasties is talking to/communicating with the(you) folks that have a similar appreciation for the bikes and the scene, as it was 10 or 20 (or more) years ago.

as i've shifted from accumulating bikes to actually getting them rebuilt and restored, i'll enjoy giving/getting/sharing info about how best to do it and the pleasure it brings to rescue/resuscitate tired old gems to their former glory and preserve bikes that represent how many changes have taken place since they were made, so many years ago!

with this, expect a few pics and anecdotes of some of my acquisitions and their place in my collection in the future. again, often the best part about buying these old bikes is the stories about the ppl and their experiences of the bikes and riding them bitd...

to start, here's a scan of an old photo from spring of '92 prior to one of my first rides on my then new off road toad! have a good one, and ride, dag nabbit! ;o)

Attachments:
newtoadatmikelakeb.jpg
newtoadatmikelakeb.jpg [ 86.55 KiB | Viewed 694 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 78  Next