Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 59%  59%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 25 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 194
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:10 am 

Hello All,
Just found out about retrobike and have been enjoying reading some of the build/rebuild threads.
I've recently been repairing and rebuilding my old Kona Lava Dome. I am close to the final assembly now and am looking forward to taking it out on its first ride.

I'm in need of a bit of advice as to what to do about some areas of the bike..?

Firstly, the rear brake and rear derailure cables run across the top tube of the frame. These were originally covered with a very thin clear plastic tube - a good, clean solution i think. However these tubes on my bake are becoing frayed and are full of grime. Does anyone know if i can get some similar tube? Or do i have to use the small rubber dougnuts?
Ideally I would like to use some tube again. Would any plastic tube be ok?

Also, as with most frames of this age there are a few chips and small dents. Should i treat these to prevent corrosion? I have considered sticking some frame protection strips over these areas like small plasters. Is this a good idea do people think?

Pics to follow.

Any advice would be kindly recived.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:30 pm 

Hey guys! About 5 years ago I picked up this Specialized RockHopper at a bike shop for less than $100 (I cant remember if it was $50 or $75). I never rode it. Until! My fiance wanted a bike! We got her a 2013 Specialized and I pulled the RockHopper out of it's grave.

Here's a random shot I found on the net.

Here's where it's spent the last 5 years or so...

And here's after I got my hands on her (about 4 hours in).

Swapped the bars, Eliminated front shifter (going to go single up front), new tires, had some bar ends lying around, I also had a newer style stem and spent most of Saturday searching local shops for a stem adapter.

photo.JPG [ 98.18 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:19 pm 
Dirt Disciple

newer member older bike fan from usa Great collections to look at Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 am 

Hello, I arrived here, I'm new and i hope to be able to contribute and learn from this forum.

My level of English is awful, i apologize in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:05 pm 
Old School Hero

Hi, forgot to post in here as I was already lurking some post when I joined.

Found some great ideas look through the forum at other peoples projects.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:02 pm 

Hey guys,
I found the site while searching for GT Lobo's & LTS's
I finally signed up when I got myself a GT Backwoods, which I'm now hoping to find some info.
I have been lurking for ages so its about time to join up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:53 pm 

Hello to all. I would like to introduce myself and learn everything you can to retro bike.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:35 pm 

Evening all. Im another newbie. Found my way here via a mates recommendation. Got into mountain biking in the early nineties in my teens. Started with a Diamond back Sorrento, moved on to a Raleigh Dyna-tech and then to an Orange Clockwork (the slime green one). Had a bit of a break then decided i needed to go full sus and bought a Cannondale Rush. However now living in the flats of Norfolk and dont have too much use for the Cannondale so have rediscovered the joys of my Orange.

Having joined here im already starting to think about a self build project.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 pm 
Dirt Disciple

hi folks. i'm john and i was brought here by the power of a friend of a friends facebook likes. i got into retro steelies after going through a few full sus rides on my native south coast/new forest trails. i have a sunn cross comp growing old back in england, and pride of place here in my living room is a '36 mifa, a '90ish flybikes diablo and a '96 cinder cone that i'm seriously debating defiling with some newer parts. proud to finally be a member of this great site :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:49 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all in the MTB forum.

Had a few MTB's in my time. Started with an Emmelle, not sure of the model but it was nothing special and I onlgy bought it to use through the winter months so my much love road bike didn't suffer.

The Emmelle opened the door to MTB's and I owned a few after that one. All were Scott's, California (I think), Montana and Boulder.

Currently using a Voodoo Bokor.

My main interest id retro road bikes but if I had the chance of a retro Scott I would take it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 78  Next