Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:04 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 58%  58%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 26 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 195
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:28 pm 
Old School Hero

Hi all, been posting on here for a few weeks now...brill site.
I'm in North Norfolk and have now acquired my first retro MTB>>>

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=263137&p=1968464#p1968464

A steel Rockhopper, whilst I am still on the hunt for a Ti Dyna Tech, I am happy to have a daily hack and have found this site excellent for info and inspiration. Anyone know what year she may be?? hasn't got thumbies so may be mid to late 90's?? Anyway, I imagine this'll be the first of many as I have the bug, saves my carbon sunday road bike too :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:46 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hey everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker. Been reading posts about different things for a while, always finding Retrobike threads in Google searches for stuff on my old bikes and parts. Thought I'd finally join the fun.

Between my bikes and my Wife and my Dad, we have a couple LTS DH's and three RTS's that I'm keeping alive. I also have an old Ricochet frame hanging on the garage wall. Two of the RTS's need to be built back up so I think this forum will be a great resource.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:59 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, I stumbled upon this website while searching google for some info on my Al Carter bike that I bought yesterday and had no idea about it. I'm by no means a retro bike enthusiast to be honest, I'm a retro car enthusiast (had a couple of Vauxhall Nova's, was building one for track use)

Long story short I was going to the gym when at my lost job but got made redundant so couldn't afford to keep going to the gym 6 months unemployed and I put the weight back on so thought I'd buy a bike to get myself back into fitness stuff now I have a job, plus I do like riding bikes anyway. I'm from Co.Durham and the name is Andrew.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:28 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Good morning! Shorter sentences. Nearly had a panic attack. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Hello MTB peeps!

I already said hello in the road forum last year, so kinda forgot to introduce myself here, too. My road fixation lasted for a couple of (expensive) months, but it just felt wrong riding a road bike through the congested, craggy roads of Manchester, and I went back to riding my MTB; an 04 Hardrock XC.

Then, someone stole my bike! As I used my bike for commuting, I immediately started pondering the replacement. A retro MTB seemed like the perfect solution: cheap and full of character! :)

Then I got my bike back. Hooray! ish. It was too late - the nostalgia bug had bitten, and here I am. Hello! :D

oh, I should probably add that I'm incredibly fickle, and have a tendency to lose interest in my projects really quickly. This annoys the wife immeasurably! :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:39 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

lostboy wrote:
Hi, I stumbled upon this website while searching google for some info on my Al Carter bike that I bought yesterday and had no idea about it. I'm by no means a retro bike enthusiast to be honest, I'm a retro car enthusiast (had a couple of Vauxhall Nova's, was building one for track use)

Long story short I was going to the gym when at my lost job but got made redundant so couldn't afford to keep going to the gym 6 months unemployed and I put the weight back on so thought I'd buy a bike to get myself back into fitness stuff now I have a job, plus I do like riding bikes anyway. I'm from Co.Durham and the name is Andrew.

Welcome!

There's plenty of people on here who also like other retro vehicles.

If you're into Novas you should speak to Spudly if you haven't already.

Post subject: New forumite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:29 pm 

Hi All ,

Came across this Forum on good old Google , don't do any riding now , too much arthritis and other ailments , thought an old bike would help the arthritis but got as far as the end of the garden & couldn't get off the bike !.

That one bike has started me off , now have two carrera Vulcans , a Giant , Carrera Subway , two Saracen Trekers . trek 800 and various other frames on the way from e-bay .

I was a motorbike mechanic and built road bicycles for various people .

Still have three motorbikes in the workshop ( Greeves ) but they will probably go shortly .
Had to sell my two BSA Goldstars last year , just to heavy for me & I couldn't get my leg over the seat and start them .

Having a wonderful time rebuilding the MTBs and learning how far bikes have come on since I last played with them , whole new learning curve but very enjoyable , need to fill in my time during retirement .

I shall be annoying everyone with questions as models of MTBs that appear good to me don't appear good to anyone else !.

Cheers , Chris

Post subject: Re: New forumite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:36 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

Welcome Chris. That's the beauty of Retrobikes, something to suit every taste and budget :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:39 am 

Hello all, signing up to get general information and to lust over various bikes on here.

I'm from East Lancashire, and being born in 1989, I can't exactly claim to years of looking at MBUK in the '90s and wanting various bikes, I was still in primary school when you lot were all bombing about on Saracens and Oranges and all that lot :lol:

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is I've always loved the look of the e-stay bikes made in the '90s and as such am looking to get one to build up while I lose (a lot!) of weight by riding my Dad's old Raleigh Activator (don't feel sorry for me, I need the exercise trying to move the thing!). Having last ridden a MTB when I was about 13, and even then nowhere near 'hard' (mostly seemed to go to Grizedale with the parents for a few easy rides from what I can remember), needless to say I'm rusty and unfit as hell. I suppose being 21 stone doesn't help matters either... :oops:

I'm 6ft 2 in height, would this cause any problems with the generally shorter wheelbase of an e-stay style bike? I am pretty much going into this blind, not having any MTB experience for the past 11 years. There's an Alpinestars Cro-Mega LX for sale locally on eBay that hasn't been used in 15 years for £99, would this be worth taking a punt on if it's 1992 and younger? (I know there was problems with the stem on the pre-1992 bikes).

In addition to an (admittedly vauge) interest in '90s MTBs, I can usually be found under the bonnet of a '94 Toyota Starlet GT, which is stupidly good fun to drive. It's hilarious keeping up with modern cars in your 860kg tin can :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:22 pm 

Hi people. What a site, the memories! Panaracer smokes, zoom, Girvin flex stems, tioga disc drive.. Just a few things I've seen in the first few minutes of browsing.

Found the site after searching google images for my first mountain bike, Saracen Tufftrax Extreme in Orange! Must have been circa 1991. Fitted out with panaracer smokes, Rolls saddle, those grey brake blocks (Madison??) Campagnolo chainset, oval gel handlebar grips (can't recall the make)

Love it. I'd love to have a look through an old early 90's mtb mag. Was it the back page with the Tomac advert with the disc drive?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 78  Next