Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 58%  58%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 26 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 195
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:46 am 
Retro Guru

Hey All,

I am Anthony and Live in Yukon Territory, Canada (beside Alaska). When I was a youngen I had a subscription to Mountain Bike magazine (c.1993-1995). Unfortunately, I tossed most of the issues years ago. (ARG!!) though I still have a couple around I think. Anyway, I had a sports store bike first with shimano 70GS and then bought a rocky mountain hammer (rigid) in 1995, my parents helped me. It was a beauty and it would be too small for me now, but I would love to get another chromoly rocky from that period and need about a 20" Frame. I stopped mountain biking a couple years later and started racing motocross. Fast forward through the end of high school and my bachelor and I moved from eastern canada to the west and bought a mountain bike in 2004 in the Kootenays and then most to Vancouver and started "shore" riding. I also became a dedicated commuter and vintage road bike aficionado. I toured Europe in 2007 and worked in a shop for a few years. I have a modern road bike (steel) and a full suspension 29er, a dedicated touring bike, other road bikes, and a few vintage road and track bikes. I'm currently working on a monster cross, I built the frame. Anyway, the urge to built up an MTB from '93-'96 has bitten and I am on the hunt for the right frame.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:13 am 
Old School Hero

Hi all, I think I'm already a member on here from about 5 years ago but had to re-register. I'm Guy, 40, from the northwest. I have a Dave Yates Diablo from my student days in the early 90's in Aberdeen. It's since had a chewed up chainstay replaced and a repaint by Dave Yates about 10 years ago. I went out on a 20 mile bike around Manchester with work as a health promo thing yesterday and it reminded me why I still absolutely LOVE this bike still!

Bike currently has mix of XT parts from a few years ago and Pace suspension forks that I rebuilt using parts bought from here and Pace themselves and it's currently setup as 1x9 with ebay flat pedals.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:27 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I am posting a polite hello as is the etiquette of good forums.. so hello all, I am after picking someones brains..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:53 am 

Hi there,

I am into MTB and some BMX.
I found this forum through Google search.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:15 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hey

I used to ride mountain bikes back in the early/mid nineties and got back into It around 6 years ago.

I took part in mountain mayhem for the second time this year and seeing your rides has inspired me to dust off an old Alpine Stars frame from the back of the garage and explore the possibilities of bringing it back to life!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:27 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum after lurking for a while. I started mountain biking back in the mid 1980's. I have several vintage mountain bikes that I still ride, a few that I don't, and a couple of modern 29er's that I ride. I will be building and rebuilding a few these bikes in the future and will post the progress.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:07 pm 
Dirt Disciple

hi everyone Romain 30 from France. ive been into mountain/road/tri bikes for 18 years.
My everyday bike was a Tomac Flint 29er but it was stolen. So i currently ride a nice Kona sex three from my father.
I found the site with the little help of my friend google.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:31 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi everyone, just found this thread after getting interested in retro mtbs and posting a few times on different threads. I'm 35, grew up in Plymouth, spend my teens thrashing 1993 M Trax 400 Ti on Dartmoor, then moved away to uni, then farther afield for work (Canaries, Mexico City, Korea, now Portugal) to places less conducive to mountain biking, either big cities rife with crime, or lands with vertical mountains or flood plains with precious little bikeable areas. My M Trax frame and seat post is still alive, but badly rusted, with worming under the paint of the cro-mo areas. And I still have my blue and black dynatech team jersey from circa 94-95, still wearable with a slight ladder and hole on the back which my camelbak hides.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have some noob questions.

* When buying a bike or kit from a seller on this forum, what is the standard etiquette? How does one protect himself from being ripped off (i.e., seller takes the money but never sends the product). I assume the members of this site are an interlinked group (or groups) of friends, so the above is unlikely in any case.

* What is 'NOS"?

* What postage service is used for complete bikes, and what is the usual cost?

* Where (and for how much) do people source replacement decals after getting a frame repainted?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:42 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

For NOS see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=259156

Fr sales see forum rules atop of this one viewforum.php?f=2

Decals, a guy called Gil m I think

And welcome from a relative newbie. All good fun this!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:20 pm 
Retro Guru

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 78  Next