Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:22 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 58%  58%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 26 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 195
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:57 pm 

Hi folks..
After running into a Scottish member of here on his way to a fairly snowy grizedale forest run, when he came into the shop where I work with a stripped bottom bracket, I had a look around and quite like the interest in old bikes. I work maintaining a hire fleet, so get a lot of bike fixing in.
Anyway, I remembered the pile of bike bits in a bay in my barn and remembered that I still had the dismembered bits of most of the bikes I have had since about age 14. And probably after some searching the bits to build them up! After some searching (internally, and eBay) I have decided to put back together my most used and loved bike from my youth!
I originally built it on a handmade frame out of bits from a Raleigh team banana mountain bike which I was knocked off by a car, which bent the frame, most of the bits were good so I just swapped them to the new frame. I didn't know how lucky I was at the time as everything fitted!
Anyway, over the years since bits were changed and it evolved, and was eventually replaced by something shinier.. And was left to gather dust and other things before being stripped to make an electric bike, with the aforementioned Raleigh frame, which by now I knew enough to straighten. It has spent the last five or so years avoiding eBay as I had too many memories with it. So, I shall have to see how many bits of it I can find, and see if I can make it live again!
The frame was made by a guy called Dave Russell, from slough. He built and sold frames from a little workshop, I shall have to see if I can find a bit more about him, it was always a great ride, and climbed better than it had a right to. It's a 531 frame, so was fairly light, indestructible, and very old school looking even back then.
Then i might start building up some fantasy projects.... Maybe...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hello,

Not sure if I introduced myself when I joined in 07 but after some doctors orders(badly broken collar bone, ribs and wrist - ouch) to keep off the bike I'm now getting back on and hope to not fall off again. As I dug my bikes and projects out of the garage I cant wait till the weather warms up a bit, I need to get something together so I can ride to work and I'm sure it will snow ball from there. I have a few questions and a thing or two to sell hope it all works out.

Chris MacDonald
Guelph, Ont. Canada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:53 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Howdy,

Like many on here it seems, I stumbled across this site when looking for inspiration to restore a once loved Zaskar (ball burnished 1994 vintage).

It's going to be a bit of a mongrel of old, new and borrow components. I believe in using bikes as they were intended, so it won't be show room bling.

Right, off to delve not this here forum....

JT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:31 pm 

Hi all,
Just signed up here as I have seen it often mentioned over on Retro Rides where I'm also MeatballTurbo :)

I had just signed up to place an add for my old bike that I no longer use and want to go to someone who might appreciate it but I thought it might be nice to introduce myself first :)

Anyone else from Retro Rides here that I might recognise?

Cheers
Carl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:08 pm 

Hey all,

Found this site when trying to find parts I could use on my brothers old Kona Fire Mountain Race Light bought around sum94. Pretty good condition, but hey, me and mechanisms dont see eye to eye, so I'll be on a learning curve.

Is it sacrilege to put new parts on such a bike??

over and out,
Scott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:45 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Came across this site when looking for info on an impulse buy. Not had a bike for best part of 20 years so very out of touch. Was chuffed when a number of members helped me out with details for the bike and am building up my fitness with a view to going to a west mids ride this summer.

Thanks to all who made me feel so welcome and continue to give great advice and humour.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:58 am 

Hi everybody.

Been following the forums for a really long time. Lurking and drooling over all the Ano'ed parts etc. Been riding bikes as a hobby for a long time. Worked as a mechanic in a couple of bikeshops for a number of years. Then the economy tanked and large internet shops pretty much killed local bikeshops. So now I work at a recycling center basically flinging shit with a shovel. I currently ride a Kona Lava Dome 1998, in pretty much stock condition. A Nishiki Roadmaster 19?? converted to a fixed gear bike, fast, slim, reliable and bought the frame NOS from the Finnish importer. MY wife is really into cycling also, and rides a Kona Hahanna Race Light 1994 single speed. And on the road she rides a Bianchi ?? from ?? converted to a single speed with CX tyres. She loves them both and rides the s*it out of them. I've owned a lot of bikes and a huge cache of bike parts, but in a fit of frustration gave most of it away to a friend. I joined retrobike to source some hard to come by parts and possibly help some people to do the same. My local bike shops have/had some really nice retro stuff. This site made me reconsider geared bikes again, I've been riding mostly singlespeed bikes and fixed gear bikes for the better part of 10 years now. But once I acquired my current Kona it felt fun to use gears again.

My Lava Dome 1998

Wife's Hahanna 1994

And our "Road" bikes

So I guess this is my "Hello World" post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:20 pm 
Retro Guru

Ello gentleman and ladies..

I'm Chris I've been riding mountain bikes since 1990...rode bmx before that, now I ride both :D..

I started with a Raleigh (can't remember name, was green and mottled and had whatever the groupset below Dx was at the time, with rapid fire shifters that felt not very rapid..
then I got a Ltd Edition Raleigh Kalahari 16 inch with Mag 30's in like 1993. was lovely, and from there I was hooked,.. always wanted a Gt lobo and a Zaskar Le but never got one as I was young :(
had plenty of bikes since,

and when it arrives this week I'm about to embark on building the Jmc stumpjumper as featured on the cover of the dirt video.. got an immaculate frame coming. fsx's are paid for and waiting delivery..
brakes are proving a massive problem though :(

anyway..

Hi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:27 pm 

Hi,

My names Si, I've been riding since 1978, started riding mountain bikes in 1990 when i got a Giant Coldrock, it was heavy but a lot of fun too.

These are all the mountain bikes i have owned:

1990 Giant Coldrock (frame and forks still in the shed)
1991 Kona Lavadome
1991 Cannondale SM800 BOTE (still my main rider)
1992 Hooger Booger Comp LX
1993 Saracen Tufftrax Elite
1993 Saracen Kili Flyer
1994 Scott Tampico
1994 Diamondback Topanga
1995 Kona Explosif
1996 GT Karakoram 01
2001 Viper F40 Easton Elite
2003 Specialized Hardrock Cro-Mo
2003 Specialized Enduro SX
2004 Marin Attack Trail
2004 Kenesis Maxlight
2004 Specialized Rockhopper Pro
2005 Scott Nitrous SL11
2005 On-One Ti Inbred

I'm planning a full renovation of my Cannondale later this year.

Post subject: Introducing myself Here
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 pm 
Dirt Disciple

After years of clandestine cruising of various forums predominantly Retrobike I thought it was high time I joined in instead of being merely an observer.

Originally found retrobike a few years ago when trying to identify a couple of 80's BMX's I had, then got sucked into the area which my exercises my main vice...mountain bikes, with a smattering of roadie stuff for good measure.

My favourite bike which would be the bike I'll never part with is a spring chicken by comparison to most on here being a 2003 Orange Evo2, no matter what I do to it, how many times I change the components it still makes me smile every time I ride it.
I have newer and older stuff and after many years of ponderous surfing I have finally taken possession of the bike that inspired me to buy the Evo.......a 1993 Clockwork Orange

The stuff of child hood dreams, although my one looks more like a nightmare at the moment.

more info on my sickles can be found here:
www.bikingbulletinboard.blogspot.com

Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 78  Next