Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:15 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 58%  58%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 26 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 195
 Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:05 am 
Dirt Disciple

Last December I bought a KHS Montaña Team on Gumtree by accident while looking for a computer. Started to look on Retrobike to find out what I'd bought. Now I'm hooked. Been hanging out in the 'Show us your KHS' forum and posting there.
Then I found a Marin Hawk Hill to play with while the KHS is in the paintshop, and think I just bought a CB Cape Wrath frame from Santahul.
The last bike I played with was converting a '50's Phillips Cyclemaster into a 'trackbike' in 1966, had a coaster brake, was great for skidding with. Fitted ball end levers, motorcycle cables, trial bars and grips, later a 3 speed Sturmey Archer. In those days an MTB was a Naval vessel used to hunt submarines and Albert Finney was bashing out Raleigh bikes in 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning'
Those Marin County Klunker boys were still on their Tri-angs, and the only thing coming out of Taiwan/Formosa were really nice postage stamps to collect. Retro looks better than anything I see coming out of Halfords too.
Retro's not about nostalgia, it's about quality, aesthetics, making something your own, meeting, riding and talking with some like minded enthusiastic people along the way.

Attachments:
really-old-school.jpg
really-old-school.jpg [ 248.09 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]
Marinated.jpg
Marinated.jpg [ 307.26 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:56 am 
Dirt Disciple

Just cocked up by putting this in a thread of its own on chat. Doh!
Can mods remove the other thread please, thanks.

Anyway, Hi,
I am brand new on here so please go gentle. 8)

I am a born again Cyclist and born again Motorbiker as my mid life crisis hit a few years ago, and I think that I can do more in my late 40's (48 yesterday) that I could when I was a teenager, unfortunately my body doesn't know that yet. :roll:

Any way I was Time trialling when at school in the late 70's and have been into lightweight old school racers since then and have a few nice retro 531 steel bike from the 50's to the 90's , but I have recently enjoyed an old heavy raleigh mountain bike more than I thought so my interest is now focussed on finding a nice steel retro Kona or Gt MTB, either front sus or rigid. Need something as light as possible and good handling.

Oh and I live in South Yorks, just!

Thanks,
Dean.

Post subject: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:43 am 
Dirt Disciple

Welcome to the club Dean, middle aged Yorkshire men actively encouraged here, especially Aries, I'm 63 on Saturday, in Halifax, and I like Hondas too.

Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 am 
Dirt Disciple

JHD wrote:
Welcome to the club Dean, middle aged Yorkshire men actively encouraged here, especially Aries, I'm 63 on Saturday, in Halifax, and I like Hondas too.

Thanks JHD
I run a yam fz1 and rebuilding a 64 velocette venom clubman so into old and new.

Looking forward to building some fitness back up as flying a desk for the last few years doesnt help your gut or fitness.
Dean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:22 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello,

I'am dennis from Holland and I own a 1994 Cannondale M700 in polished aluminium. I bought the bike new in 1994 and have driven it since then about 50km :oops: so it's as good as new, now im thinking about it to upgrade the bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:23 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Here's a picture off my m700:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:01 pm 

wow! just found this forum. love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:11 pm 

Hey up guys, I've come across your site after I purchased a Saracen FS mountain bike which I broke the forks on then purchased another set which are Mozo XMO's and need help with.

Cracking looking site by the way. I've come to mountain biking as the bike I have is cracking for the type of riding I do.

I'm hoping to have a good read through the forum.

thanks all
Garv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:59 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Hi i`m not from GB but like old steel and alloy bikes.

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:25 am 

Great site! New guy just getting back into the saddle after a looong layoff and thought this site would be a good place to get reacquainted with the sport.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 78  Next