Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:29 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 59%  59%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 25 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 194
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:31 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hello Everyone :)

Got referred here by a few mates, I've just dusted myself off after a few years off my bikes!

Presently i've got this:

And also an old Haro Extreme, which i've been building up but it seems to have thwarted me by having a bent U brake stay :(

Edit - this is the reason behind my retro love -

Pic was taken in 97/98, just before it got nicked :cry: I always thought it was a Haro but now i'm pretty sure it wasn't.. Anyone able to identify it / got one I can buy to relive my youth?

Mike :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:04 am 

Hi, this is a great site. My name is John Olsen. I started riding mountain bikes in the 60s, really got into it in 81, and started building frames (I couldn't buy what I wanted for our technical mountain trails) and writing for various US magazines. I did the Raleigh Edge and a bunch of other designs, including contributing to the first Cannondale 26/24.

I'm still riding, albeit less well than in previous decades, but then, I crash less now. One day, I realized that I and most of my bikes were "vintage". I also love Britain, thus I am delighted to find this site!

Post subject: Brit Downunder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 am 

Living in Australia, New South Wales, I'm originally from the UK and started mountain biking back in 1992 and then got serious with my first Marin MTB in 1994.

Found this site looking for tips to restore my Marin Indian Fire Trail. The tips on using Alfoil to rub back the polished frame are priceless.

So, I've started restoring my Marin IFT to it's original glory including the rigid forks. I'll start a topic with pictures etc to show progress and the finished project.

Currently own 1999 Orange Gringo, 1998 Marin Mount Vision Pro, 1996 Orange P7 and 1995 Marin IFT (work in progress).

Great site with great info on some great bikes.

Post subject: gios mtb?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi, I'm Saarf
Do any of you wizened MTB'ers know anything about Gios Mtb's?
Were they any good?

Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all,

I'm Rob and today i've just acquired a 87 / 88 (from what i can gather from reading up a bit on here before registering) Specialized Rockhopper in yellow.

It seems complete and fairly original from what i can tell, but currently has no tyres or tubes so i have just ordered some.

I'll post some pics of it when i get the chance, i'm going to try and get it up and rolling again to some sort of better condition that is at the moment,
i'm no expert at all on MTB's (been more into two wheels with engines and haven't ridden a push bike for a long time so should be interesting!

Cheers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:25 pm 

I've recently got into MTB after a very long time out of the saddle. I tend to prefer retro gear in all of my hobbies, so when it came to finding a bike couldn't help but look at the sort of stuff I used to want as a schoolkid.

I've currently got a 97 Cannondale M300SE which I'm looking to generally just enjoy, riding the local trails and probably falling off of a few times.

Glad to have found a bunch of like-minded folk on this forum!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Came across this site surfing around the net looking for stuff about a Giant NRS XtC FS bike I just built up but it's a 2002 model so not sure that is retro just yet but I do have some retro stuff I still ride to share..........

1992 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

1993 Diamondback Vertex

1995 Trek Y-22

I have 14 bikes total but rest are newer than 1997 and/or not MTB. From TX USA but no, not gonna start throwin around a bunch of cheesy y'all & howdy crap so I'll just go with what's up?

Last edited by i12ride on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:54 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Hiya Retrobike people
I've been an avid reader of Retrobike for a while now. I've been registered for a while but I think it's time to start posting.
I've been riding "mountain" bikes since 1992 and have always done all my own maintenance, repairs, wheel builds etc, so I may occasionally be able to offer some useful advice in these areas.
Cheers. CB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 pm 
Old School Hero

Fantastic little part of the internet here. Spent the last week reading, reading and reading some more. Found this site as I was looking to sell a few bits and bobs I have lying around but after looking around I'm not sure I want to now.

Apparently I was a retro mtbiker and I didn't even know it as my daily rider is a beaten to hell 1997 Gary Fisher "Big Sur" that just keeps on keeping on. Also have '99 FSR Ground Control that I'll post some pics of over in the FSR thread. Thanks for all the great info and I'll look forward to pestering you all with a raft of daft questions in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:11 am 

G'day, my name is Hulsty, I'm a mountain biker from Australia that has recently got back into it, bought myself a modern bike to get around on but I have also been tidying up my old bike. I think it is a Parkpre, thats how I ended up here, searching for info. Here are some older photos of both bikes, the specs are a little different now.

The new one

The old one

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 78  Next