Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:01 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 59%  59%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 25 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 194
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:35 am 
Old School Hero

I came across this site after googling for some pace v-brake bosses.

I'm building up a NOS Balance AL 350 (I think ~ 1995 was hanging at LBS stripped of parts for years) frame I bought about 10 years ago and never really ridden.

First serious bike was a 1995 Marin Hawk Hill, then a 1998 Kona Caldera, DMR Side kick, Orange Airo then finally Orange Zero which has finally had its bits pilfered for the Balance.

I've not ridden in 10 years, so makes sense to cobble together a bike before being in too deep with money.

Post subject: hi eveyone
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:54 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

hi everyone, iv always been into bikes, bmx first then progressed onto mtb in around 1991, my first mtb was a alpinestar cromega, then a univeaga, im from wakefield and back in the early 90s it had a decent bikeshop called cycle world where you could but lighter parts, i was out most days after school and was very fit, my brother worked at halfords as a bike mechanic and i soon learnt all his knowledge on service and repairs, then i turned 17 and passed my driving test bikes seemed inferior to my nova sr and it was sold, years passed and in 2010 bought a carrera from halfords, i had 6 month and sold it, i just did not like the bike, now im a pretty nostalgic person so im always looking on ebay at cars iv had and bikes, so while browsing ebay one night i saw a marin bear valley that i liked the look of and decided to bid on it, anyway i won it and it was about 40 miles away from me in york, the description sounded like the guy selling it did not know much about it and the picture was crap, anyway i got a one way ticket to york and took a spare tube and a few tools and some wd40 with me,i knocked on the door the guy and the gut took me round the back to a shed where the bike had not moved for 17 years, both tyres flat and rusty chain, the guy said wheres your car, i said iv come on the train and im riding back, he said your joking right! i said no im not and got my pump out and pumped both tyres up which stayed up, sprayed the chain jumped on the bike and road it 40 miles home, i changed the stem as it was as long as my arm and stretched me had to put a v brake on the front untill the cable hanger comes for the headset ,the bike is a large frame which is what i prefer for a comfy riding postion the saddle being of similar height to the bars, cant do with a seat post that looks like a shopping trolley handle sticking out of the bike 2 foot higher than the stem, its unpractical for long rides and looks stupid, your nearly going over the handlebars as soon as you saddle up!, anyway my bike will be used i dont want a showbike i want a bike to use, and im looking forward to getting out with more people on good old steel beasts.
steve from wakefield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:18 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Not so much a newbie but a returning addict who's fallen off the wagon again!

Not been around for well, years! Mainly due to changing personal circumstances completely out of my control but now I'm in a position (both physically & mentally) to start thinking about old bikes again :D

S'good to be back. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:40 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, I'm back to enjoying mountain biking after a ten year layoff while kids and work got in the way. I found this site while looking for parts for my old Proflex 755 that I've had since new and I'm enjoying looking at all the restored bikes that mine used to look like!

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:44 am 

just wanna say hi to u all, :D
from bkk,thailand

will post some retro mtb pics later,

cheers :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
Hi all,

After many inspiring visits here already, I've finally succumbed to the fantastic world of Retrobike.

Some weeks back, I suffered a bad stack and knee injury riding through South Bank on my commute home across London. The down time spent recovering has allowed thoughts of a complete bike renovation to grow louder. I can no longer shrug off the hankering for my old shreddin' days.

These days began when I acquired a Raleigh Arena from a house mate during college in late 80s Cardiff. Tidy. The Arena became possessed by the 'Spirit of Clunkers', sporting the fattest tyres possible for an ever increasing urge to off-road Caerphilly Mountain. The Arena did eventually see sense, going to a good home when a 2nd hand Marin Palisades came my way. The Marin's luminous yellow forks were soon replaced by early Rock Shox. Many happy days were spent on big rides shreddin' the trails of South Wales with it. Unfortunately, 'Light Fingered Freddy' took the Marin away one day.

After a few 'inbetweener' bikes and a move back to my home town in West Yorkshire, I bought an Orange Clockwork frame with P7 forks in 1993 and built up my own bike in earnest. A few more years were then spent riding the moors above Huddersfield and Halifax and beyond, before normal life intervened.

Fast forward to 2010 and a life now lived in London. A visit to help clear out my parents place in Yorkshire before they downsized, reunited me with the old Clockwork. It had been under wraps in their basement since 1996. The Clockwork came down to London with me.

Following a reassessment of life, it was brought back into road worthy service as a commuter bike. Unfortunately, the old Smoke and Darts were a little too flaky round the edges to trust, so I settled with Race Kings, which fly on tarmac.

The distances were gradually increased until the expensive annual season ticket was ditched last December. The year was spent hacking the Clockwork back and forth across London being inspired on by 2012's glorious cycling events. Enfield to Wimbledon and back.

The old bomb proof Clockwork is now resting in pieces in the shed, waiting to see the new light of day, powder coated and fully restored, once I'm fit enough. Retrobike will hopefully help keep the spirits up as I prepare to embrace my impending mid-life crisis.

Meanwhile, here's 2 pics of the Clockwork before the high mileage and a slice of London's hell took its toll.

Howard. :)

rainbow-clockwork_B.jpg [ 438.64 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]
rainbow-clockwork_A.jpg [ 461.91 KiB | Viewed 664 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:47 pm 
Retro Guru

Got into MTB back in 93/94 when I went to 6th form and met a guy who was really into it. Used to read MBUK in the back of "Environmental Science" fell in love with Mint Sauce and it all spiralled from there!

Had some kind of Emmelle thing (white & green I seem to remember which I upgraded to a Raleigh Outland (still made of volcanic rock but better than the Emmelle!

Started MTB'ing a bit with some of my mates who all had better bikes than me, Saracens/Diamond Backs/Ridgebacks but none of them were really that into it. The Outland lasted me a couple of years and I cut my teeth on it dragging it all across the Quantock Hills.

In the end of 95 i purchased a Orange C16-R XT (the first ones with vee brakes) and my god what a difference! It was light, fast, comfy, and I fookin loved it!

Went to Uni and some scumbag stripped the C16-r one night in the "secure" bikeshed took a lot of the groupset and ancillaries. Being a poor student It took me nearly a year to rebuild the bike with some alternative parts (some a bit retro like M900 canti's Cheap as they were old news with the advent of Vee brakes) And the Raleigh was converted to a single-speed commuter.

fast forward a few more years and I went out to work, and found I didn't have the time for MTB any more. A few more years and I was married with a kiddy and a house. The bike was just clogging the shed up so i sold it for the sum of £100 (You stupid boy Pike!)

now two years ago it occurred to me that we could take the nipper out cycling so i went and bought a Carrera from halfords...(i feel so dirty :oops: :oops: ) Then this year I decided I wanted what I'd had back then, a light fast comfortable bike, with out the disc brakes and the 2.35in tyres and the wide riser bars and the weird looking dérailleurs. The seed was sown.....

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:18 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Hello I'm new from east yorks

here's a pic of my bike

untitled.png [ 82.19 KiB | Viewed 601 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 pm 
Dirt Disciple

New here been MTB for around 20 years, feeling a bit nostalgic so had a bit of a browse and ended up here.

Currently only modern bikes in my fleet, but been eyeing up vintage road loveliness for a while - it is just a matter of time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Sorry, I posted elsewhere before finding this thread! Another newb here, Northern (Preston) lad relocated from London to LA. Great forum, some insane bikes on here :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 78  Next