Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:21 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 59%  59%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 25 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 194
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:11 am 
Dirt Disciple

Location: Luangprabang, Laos / Yangon, Myanmar / Geneva, Switzerland
So sorry my message was posted on the wrong thread... and twice! Thanks, my dear Myanmar Internet access and me missing this thread...

I copypaste here :roll:

Hi everybody!

I would like to introduce myself to this community. I am a Spaniard living in "the country formerly know as Burma", or in other words Union of Myanmar and family based in between Asia, Europe and America. I started in mountain biking by 1989, following my father once I was tall enough to ride a proper mountain bike, in the Northern Spanish region of Asturias, famous for its evergreen landscape (thanks to almost-permanent rain), high mountains, mud, steep tracks that you can choose to take uphill or downhill... I was riding every weekend, and eventually I started to take the bike to school, so I was able to ride in the afternoon after classes were finished.

I gave a lot between 1990 and 1997, then the passion started to drop as I was getting older... and getting Internet access. It came to a full stop by 1999. But the mood came back in 2010 and, while residing in Laos, I took a plane to Bangkok and came back home with a Trek 6500 which, in my opinion, is a pretty decent bike. Sorry, I forgot a couple of weeks in which I borrowed another Trek (full suspension, unable to remember model) in 2009...

And now, the moment in which I have the monetary means to claim back my unicorns, I find myself living in this amazing country... that nobody wants to deal commercially with. Shame for PayPal! They cancelled my account because I live here, and I made the mistake of telling them.

Anyhow, my bike history. Pictures do not reflect the actual bikes:

- 1987 Orbea Furia, old BMX bike that I converted into kind of MTB with a flat 3TTT bar and Shimano brake levers...

- 1989 Marin Muirwoods in beautiful odd-white colour with pink/purple/blue splatter, impossible to find a picture! This is the one, but different colour...

- 1992 Trek 970 blue, so good! Why did I sell it??? (well, it was too tiny for me...) I fitted it with a wonderful USE titanium seatpost and a Flite seat, so nice! I used to use it with Shimano road pedals, those white and purple, it was my "Tomac road/MTB moment"...

By that time, my dad had had a very "posh" Peugeot Alpine Express with fluo pink details, very 1988 fashion...

Which was followed by a bike which had this finishing in the seat tube, lovely...

Oh, wait! Before that 1991 Trek 970 there was another bike which entered our house... and that was returned to the shop as too unestable to ride, as per my dad! I managed to find a picture on the internet, so happy I did! I am checking with my mom if we keep any pictures at home, I remember this bike for having a fantastic paint job... I think ours was black.

Then I bought a GT Pantera, in aluminium. It was custom mounted and, as expected, it never really worked properly. I fitted a Manitou IV fork and used it until I got fed up and sold it.

What am I looking for? Basically two things, or three, or maybe four.

Priority number 1 is a 1990 Klein Attitude in team dolomite colours. Yes, I am not the only one and I am sure I even sound like a kind of hipster trying to be cool, but I have desired that bike since December 1989... I was too close to get one on French eBay, but the price went too high and somebody placed a stronger bid on the last second.

Priority number 2 is an Alpinestars Al-Mega, preferably 1990 in a tiny size (not like in the picture), or a 1991 "curved seat tube" model, like the one for sale here that I am trying to buy...

Priority number 4 is the original Marin Muirwoods, for which I am combing the region with the help of a friend... :lol:

Priority number 5, Alpinestars T24 or T26.... (XXXXL seat post is not needed) :lol:

Priority number "never gonna happen" is the 1992 Specialized S-Works Epic Ultimate. Dreams...

And that is basically it... I would love to get a Merlin Titanium, but let's remain (a little bit) realistic.

I am already having fun in this community, and I hope I can contribute with real pictures of my former bikes, once I find them.

Greetings from Yangon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:38 pm 
Dirt Disciple

"You need 10 posts to vote."

Should be changed to 0 so new users could answer how they found here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:21 pm 

Hello all,
Can't understand how I missed this thread at first reg so appologies for not postin here first.

My name is Ian
I was directed here by someone suggesting i come here to see if i can find out more about a bike I bought recently so I have a post in the "what's it worth" thread.

Cheers Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:21 am 

Just dug my 1994 orange clockwork out of the shed and I'm fixing it up the way I would have wanted it back in the day. Current projects: convert to aheadset & fit pace rc35s , polishing up some nice grafton cranks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:59 pm 

hi there,

I'm Pete, 38yrs and I've been a cyclist of some sort since the age of 4.
I got my first mtb at about the age of 11, a Falcon Sierra that served me well until '94 when I purchased my Rockhopper.
I've just got myself a road bike as I enjoy any type of cycling. In general I love just getting out on my bike, whether its the lanes & trails around where I live or off to Wales to do something a bit more serious.

The current collection includes:
- 2012 Felt Z85 (road bike)
- 2007 Orange Evo6 (mtb)
- 200? Diamondback Joker (bmx)
- 1996 Dave Hinde Custom polished ally framed mtb (the wife's and in need of a upgrade/rebulid)
- 1994 Specialized Rockhopper (mtb) - The current project and a thread to follow.

..... so that's me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Jumped straight in with a post and forgot to introduce myself (manners!).

Riding MTB since 1989, went through everything over the years up to long travel full suss and started getting injured too much, then turned into a roadie.

Sold the SC Heckler and Dialled Prince Albert, just got my 1993 Clockwork back from a friend and want to show it some love, and maybe even some trails.

Oh, and hello!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:13 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi all, i'm from UK, currently living in Malaysia. Fast facts: Wore out my plastic wheeled trike back in the '70s, crashed my Raleigh Burner countless times then rode youth TTs on my Carlton Carrera in the '80s, original owner of a Lava Dome since the '90s, did bugger all in the '00s, now rediscovering the speed, freedom and health benefits of life on two wheels. See you all in the forums...

Post subject: NZ NEWBIE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:31 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, My name is Dan from New Zealand

I have always enjoyed tinkering with bikes, quite enjoy this site. And away I go with my first project and problem.... ... 20#1659420

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:07 am 
Dirt Disciple

Ah, here it is! I've posted without introducing myself.

I found this place after googling around for pictures of a '92 Karakoram in Tequila Sunrise (the first bike I ever loved, sniffle). I currently ride a Specialized FSR XC Expert ('09) and a Specialized P1 ('11). My only retro bike is currently being broken for bits. T'was an alu GT hardtail with DHO triple clamps. A silly bike but lots of fun. I'm hoping to pick up a project over the winter (missus permitting) and I look forward to recording the build on here.

Anyway, nice to meet you chaps, I'll see you out there in the wild!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:16 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I've only just noticed this thread too!

My name is Sean, I'm 38 and from Northumberland.

I found this site after recently buying a 2000 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr xc comp frame to use as hobby build project. Thought it might get me out on the hills and educate me in one fell swoop.

The site has been handy for finding some necessary parts and, more importantly, is a great source of information.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 78  Next