Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:45 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 58%  58%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 26 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 195
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:44 pm 
Retro Guru

My name is Mats and I'm from Norway.

In my early teens back in the 80's, me and my friends used to build our own custom bikes from some very local bikes called DBS Kombi (our local version of Klunkers :-D ). I had a little workshop in our basement that I used for this and spent many hours down there building my bikes.

Later I started to race in national road race competitions.....still in my teens and much because my father was a cycling fanatic! :-) I did this for a couple of years and even competed in an international 6 day race in Sweden (Høkensås). Good memories.

In 1994 after I got out of the army I started to work in one of Oslo's most renowned bike shops and worked mostly as a mechanic but also with sales. I worked there for two years and learned a lot. In this period, I of course got hooked on the bikes of that era. We sold Marin, KHS, Mongoose and some local brands but more important........we sold Fat, Litespeed and Breezer (the only importer of these brands in Norway at the time).

I loved Fat.....and Breezer but I also really liked Klein's.

Today Klein is my main interest. I have several modern bikes but they are just bikes to me. However, I have been able to find two Klein's this year and I am now in the process of building them both. One is a '94 Fervor in Nebula Green. The other.........and most important....is a '95 Attitude, Painted Desert in L size. The Attitude has not been ridden much and I can't wait to finish the build and ride it (a build thread will be set up).

So......now I spend a lot of time on this forum. Completly hooked and I have also in the last year spent a minor fortune on parts from Ebay and now also buying from people on this forum (and that is much nicer by the way).

Finally I have to say that I really like the forum because people here are really friendly and share a genuine interest in retro bikes.

Best regards

Mats

Last edited by mkaavin on Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:10 am 

Hi All,

Found the site after searching out an old Raleigh Mustang SIS that I had for my teenage years. I know its not an awesome bike, but built like a tank and has sentimental value to me.

Its good to see a couple of Mustangs on here.

I used to cycle alot in my teen years but girls and cars got in the way, now, a gut and diabetes means I make a return to ATB's and fitness. :lol:

I have to say when the Mustangs done I have seen a few other bikes on ebay I would like to collect/restore.

Cheers,
Stu

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:45 am 

Found the forum whilst looking for info on my bike.
Used to work as an MTB guide in North Wales 2002/2003
Just getting back into mountain biking since moving to Scotland and discovering the huge amount of trails.
Still riding the same Marin hard tail but I am not sure if 2002 is classed as retro yet!
Still, i have enjoyed reading the posts and will continue to look through and hopefully get some help and info on my bike.
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:51 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

found the forum when looking for cleats for my Onza HO Ti pedals. Great forum, very friendly, and a wealth of knowledge. Seems to be a lot of love for all retro bikes, even the ones I was less than complimentary about BITD. Will get pictures up soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:41 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Found the forum while looking for info and ideas for my bike.

Need to shed a few lbs/Stone/Tons so thought it was time to get a bike, living near the river can cycle along towpath (cant be doing with sitting in a gym on a cycling machine), and me in lycra on a road bike was not an option. So was looking for a frame that can handle jabba the hut sitting on it and a bit different so found an old Orange Ms isle at the right price, well that was a few months back now after powder coating and replacing most parts it should be ready for its 1st run out this week.

Attachments:
WP_000074.jpg
WP_000074.jpg [ 146.07 KiB | Viewed 923 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34 pm 

hi all
I'm Manuel from Portugal
Found this forum looking for kona catalogs from the 90's. been looking at the forum since the biggining of the year.
I had a fire mountain from 94 , my first real MTB, then I got to big for it and trade it for a customized Marin Rocky Ridge from 95, which got stolen in 2005.

No bike since then.

Now I got a Muddy Fox frame, will be my weekend project, and i need help! but im still in love with the 94-95 konas....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello :D

I always wanted a mountain bike.... and now I got one!... only trouble is it's in pieces all over my shed and I NEED YOUR HELP :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:41 am 

Hi Guys,

I was looking for info on my old Saracen Powertrax (1998??) and came across this site and knew straight away I'd found a spiritual home! Bikes, old school, a desire to fix rather than replace... :D

I used to ride a Powertrax a lot between 96 and 02 (my first Powertrax was stolen, thankfully insurance covered the replacement), mostly riding to college and back through all types of weather... In 04 I moved to the Bahamas and thought the weather was too hot and the drivers too crazy to risk riding on the road... Fast forward to Feb 11 and I decided to borrow a bike to do a charity bike ride in honour of my boss, who had died of a heart attack on the same ride the year before. I enjoyed it so much I brought old faithful over, started to ride to work and back, and have now gotten into road bikes as well.

The old Powertrax is still in great shape except for the bottom bracket, which needs replacing, but unfortunately I'm having trouble getting the stubborn old one out... Any technical pointers or encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:38 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi Guys,

my name is Alex. I am from Berlin/Germany. I started around November last year with that Retro-Bike-Hobby when i wanted to buy a bike. A mate (he's also a member here and called Rahbari) infected me. He gave me his 96 Zaskar Frame and I began to build my bike about a couple of months...

Now here it is

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-egjdAD86ZJM/T1FaY3QYR-I/AAAAAAAAAWM/RihX45f_vUM/s1023/IMAG0977.jpg[/img

I hope you like my bike...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:38 pm 

Evening all, joined up here ages ago but never posted anything so thought i'd get my finger out. Love all the old stuff, reminds me of growing up with mates discussing bikes, who's best etc! They were the days.
I've got an early 90's Diamond Back Ascent in bright orange that my mum and dad bought for my birthday. Trying to remember the year but just too long ago. I must have been around 12 ish. I'm 34 now and still riding it. Its seen a few component changes over the years but just cannot part with it. After seeing some of the bikes on here i'm considering a major strip and overhaul at mo. I use it mainly for the road so looking to make it a little lighter. The only real damage came in the form of a bit of heat being applied to get the old seat post out as it was knackered but is currently covered by a "Crud Catcher" sticker from when they originally came out!
I'm sure i'll be asking a few questions in the future on here so i apologise now!
Phil .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 78  Next