Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:18 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 58%  58%  [ 114 ]
Link from a friend 13%  13%  [ 26 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Print media (mbr,privateer etc) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 31 ]
Something else 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 195
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:44 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi my name is Rick

I got into mountain biking in 1992 and after a few crappy second hand bikes a lot of saving up I bought my Orange Clockwork in October 1993 (so its a 94 model).

Here is my receipt (found it in a box in the garage the other day!) :lol:

I don't live there any more by the way

I was 25 then and I'll be 44 in August

The bike came specced with the STX groupset and rigid forks, gradually over the next couple of years I upgraded the parts as I broke them or they wore out.

This is how Gina looks today

In 1995 I had my first baby (she's 16 now and has just left school) after that the bike only came out of the garage for probably 10 rides a year so I never had to do much maintenance just new brakes and tyres and a few new chains.

On her first outing this year I discovered that the spongy elastomers in the quadra 21r forks had turned to mush after a quick google search I found some replacements from http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esho ... oductId=87

After fitting them though I was very disappointed as they just bottomed out as soon as you hit the smallest bump.

Back onto google and I found you guys and I've already bagged a 1" Judy steerer/crown and a set of Judy XC's so I'm well on the way to getting her back on the trail.

The shifter brake lever combos are the old servo wave levers for cantilever brakes so the V brakes are fitted with those pulley adjusters.

although they work ok I spied that someone had some M950 XTR shifters and V brakes for sale so while I've got the tools out I think its time for an upgrade.

I think its great what you're doing on here and I fully intend to participate by putting my old bits out of the garage on here for a few quid, not for profit but to help someone else get the bits they need for their bike like you did for me.

Cheers........ Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:38 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi

I'm Duncan I got into biking when I was about 12/13 with a Scott Tahoe. I grew up outside Liverpool in a place called formby that had a few good riders there notably Sue Thomas and Matt Guy. I now live in Horwich which is again an ace place to live and ride.

My current ride is my '98 Saracen Kili Team with a right mix of stuff on it down to the 96 stx rc front hub and sunset 217 rim down to a modern Deore rear mech.

Its still got the original chisel cut straight forks on it.

I had a bad smash 5 years ago and did what Cedric Gracia has done. since then I have been out only a handful of times due to pain and loosing my bottle. However I went out this morning and am making a concerted effort to get back into shape.

My o/h is not a biker at all but I got her a 1998 Sun Vertik a couple of years ago from Leisure lakes Bury. its a real nice hardtail frame the forks are some tange crappy things but its a nice thing to ride.

Ill stop waffling and stick some pics up soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:39 am 

Hello.

Just stumbled onto the site and am appreciating all of the old school love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:39 pm 

In a previous life I was a slightly above average Time Trialist and spent zillions of pounds on my 'hobby', then I decided that I should calm my 'habit' down. So I tried MTB but soon spent another zillion pounds on my new 'hobby'. Soooo I chucked it all in for 2 years....however I started again a year ago with the mantra that I would only ride bikes that I could build from Car Booty spoils for under £100.....good idea right?...nooo...all I've found is things of natural Retro beauty!!!

I'm starting to realise I can spend quite alot more on my new retro hobby!!!

I shall be putting up some lovely pics of my retro builds in the near future!

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, Im Martin. im a northamptonshire based powdercoater . I was introduced to this site by one of your group members who i powder coated a bike for. Im always happy to help with powder coating questions and if you need a frame etc powdered feel free to message me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:18 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi! My name is Alfredo, I am spanish

I love bikes, specially those from 1990 to 1998. And I have a serious mental insanity about Merlin Titanium frames.

And I love beer, and beer loves me too

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all, thought I'd best join after lurking for a while :D

Been into mtb's since the mid 90's . Started off on massive 22in Diamondback sorrento, which my Dad still has and occasionally rides!

Nice to be here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I currently have a 2003 Kona cindercone.

The Boss Lady has a mint 1998 Rockhopper, apart from the lady saddle it's totally original .

I also have my Proflex 856 frame, awaiting its conversion into cruiser/ratbike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:14 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Well here I am, I've been building bikes since I was 8 with my dad, never stopped working on bikes haha ! Finally Glad to have Internet Back ! So, my pride and joy is my Marin/Manitou FS '93

I also have a proflex Beast in progress and a shitload of un-assembled bikes in the yard lol!

Well thanks for having me here and I love the fact that people talk about their passion like that! ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:40 pm 
Dirt Disciple

That is seriously sweet! :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 78  Next