Calling All Orange C16R Owners

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, In a bid to find out as much as i can about the Orange C16R please post your pics, information, and anything else C16R related. I've got three on the go, one complete and two in various states of re-build/restoration.

Ok, so here we go for starters;

First up is my Silver C16R (1996/97) My first purchase and once ridden forever smitten, This has undergone several changes and tweaks, and now has some rather lovely Pace RC38 Airforce Mk1 Forks sitting proud at the front end, this paved the way for my quest for my future C16R builds.

Second, is my work in progress 17" Black C16R Frame, picked up for the cost of a couple of pints and will soon be inheriting my STX-RC groupset which has been removed from my Silver C16R in favour of XT-M739 components. Currently sourcing some Forks for it. (Now sold to NeilM see further on in thread for a great build)

Third is my Gold 1994/5 C16R, fitted with some interesting parts, including Middleburn Chainrings, USE Seatpost, Mavic 121 SUP wheels with Hope Hubs and alternating Red/Blue Spoke Nipples. Bargain eBay purchase but needs some work as was neglected and assembled slightly incorrectly, for example BB was wrong way round, putting the chainrings rather close to the frame.

Please post some pics etc, would be good to gather some good info on C16R's

Many thanks,

Jussa :)

Attachments

• C16RestoGold1.JPG
    C16RestoGold1.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 13,853
  • C16RestoGold2.JPG
    C16RestoGold2.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 13,844
  • Pace RC38 Airforce Mk1.JPG
    Pace RC38 Airforce Mk1.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 13,846
  • Jussa Orange C16R Pic1.JPG
    Jussa Orange C16R Pic1.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 13,845
Although Orange were more erratic than other makes, and sometimes introduced changes piecemeal, you can pretty much take it that a braze-on seat clamp means 95/earlier, and a canti bridge means 96/earlier. So your silver size 21 and black size 17 are 97s, and your gold size 19 is 94 or 95.

Mine's a late '94 /early '95. I ordered a Clockwork from Stif and at the time it was taking a long time to get forks from Pace, especially the MXCs that I wanted. So when I got a C16 I was a bit surprised but extremely pleased when I took it out for the first ride.

Mine has morphed over the years and now spends most of its time as my commuter. Solid, dependable machine and has seen an awful lot of miles since it was bought. Originally all LX, now a mixture of XT and XTR with a few nice British components thrown in for good measure as everything wore out. It's still up high on my list and only really has been eclipsed by my Vit in terms of favourite bikes that I own. It's also the one that I will never sell. Only changes from that pictured are that it now has some original Hope skewers on it and at present is running some old-ish skinwall IRC Mythos for the off-road commute. Oh yeah - and it now has Crabbies bottle tops for handlebar end plugs...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179368

Where did the C16-R fit into the Orange lineup? I seem to think it superceded the Clockwork and was in effect a Clockwork under a different name?
When did production of them end? I don't see all that many about, they seemed like a short lived model to me? (comparatively).
I rather like them though :)

It's called the C-16 as it's the 16th different version of the Clockwork ;) First year was 1995, think it was 1997 when they went back to the original name. Just like the Clockwork, it was the entry level Orange bike.

The C16-R was the direct replacement for the Clockwork when Orange also replaced the Prestige with the P7. I think the C16-R was about for 4 years or so and then it went back to the Clockwork name again.

My wife has a '97 C16-R which has no canti bracket or seatpost clamp and the slot in the seat tube is at the front rather than at the rear like mine. Her's also has a different seat tube size (29.6mm I think rather than my 30mm).

Of course the P7 is still going and is the only steel frame that Orange make.

Some great info on the C16R, any chance some piccies could be posted of your C16R's :) Would be great to see the differences between them over the short span they ran for.

Just checked the archive and can confirm the C-16 ran for 3 years, 1995/6/7.

I'll try and dig out a picture of mine. It was one of the first from late 1994 and was a belter.

Jussa":16hhkwx2 said:
Some great info on the C16R, any chance some piccies could be posted of your C16R's :) Would be great to see the differences between them over the short span they ran for.

I'll see if I can get a pic of my wife's '97 'retromod' tonight. She wanted something that would absolutely not malfunction because she was ferrying the nipper around so she had me put some newer hollowform cranks and that gubbins on it :roll: I'll even take the child seat off it if I can be bothered :LOL:

As for my '95, I left a link for it in my post before.

have changed it a bit since this pic taken but still one of my fav bikes.....

DSCN2308.jpg

:p

Back