Orange C16R or P7 What is the True Identity of this Beast???

Jussa

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, so firstly i must thank sylus for pointing me in this direction, an ebay find which after some negotiation and costing me a few beer chits became my next project.

Bronze C16R ? Or is it ? Now i am no expert at identifying bikes but it does have some tell tale signs of being a C16R, and also a few that don't and point more towards being a P7?.

First of all a quick run down of the spec;

Orange Frame & F7 Forks finished in a Bronze/Gold colour. (Series 8 Tubing on the frame) Frame number is A4060336 (Note - Frame has round bottle mounts not diamond shape. Has Canti Mount on rear stay). Paint looks original.

Shimano LX 1" Headset

Shimano M735 Front and Rear Mech

Mavic 121 SUP Rims fitted to Hope Hubs Front & Rear, and dressed with alternating Red & Blue Spoke Nipples.

Middleburn Chainrings fitted to a bent Sugino Crank and Rocky Mountain Non Drive Side Arm.

Redline Beartrap Pedals

Innova Tyres Front & Rear

Orange SK8 Stem

USE Seatpost/Shim & Unknown Saddle

Tranz X Highrider Bars

Unknown Grips

Bit of a mixed bag but i am sure has some potential, let me know what you think. Any Orange Guru's out there please drop me a line :)

Jussa :)

Attachments

• OrangeResto3.JPG
    OrangeResto3.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,336
  • OrangeResto1.JPG
    OrangeResto1.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 2,330
  • OrangeResto2.JPG
    OrangeResto2.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,333
  • OrangeResto.JPG
    OrangeResto.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,334
just been looking at the one ive got in the shed - looks very similar apart from the colour. The front looks right - forks correct and the rear end is correct - as are the cable guides....

What are yiour concerns?

sisyphus":1juoi5l0 said:
just been looking at the one ive got in the shed - looks very similar apart from the colour. The front looks right - forks correct and the rear end is correct - as are the cable guides....

What are yiour concerns?

Thought it may be a P7 ? The front mech is clamp on but my later C16R is BB mounted, and the seat clamp and shim and USE seatpost are identical to a 1994 P7 which reflects the age based on the frame number. The Decals are aftermarket and badly positioned apart from the Series 8 Tubing decal which is original.

Looking at the 1995 PDF Orange Catalogue It looks like its a 1995 P7, (Series 8 Tubing on the P7, and Series 7.2 Tubing on the C16R)

I'm very happy and it's gonna clean up into a goodun :)

drop orange an email with the serial # and see what they come back with.

looks good, although i don't understand why anyone in their right mind would rebadge a p7 to a c16r? it makes no sense. you wouldn't stick a 316i badge on the back of an m3 (ok, a bit of an ott example but you get my meaning.)

Ok few things that dont add up;

C16R has Series 7.2 Tubing,

This bike has Series 8? (According to the decal which looks original)

P7 has diamond shaped lugs on the bottle mounts.

This bike has round bottle mounts?

So P7 or C16R? The plot thickens..................

Hmmm now I see your point but the positive thing is that youve got a good bike whatever the outcome?
Those decals look wrong.

Im going to ddig my C16 out of the shed and have a look at the differences.

I have never seen that colour before, so I would assume that it is a respray - in which case, I would ignore the assorted stickers that are on there.

I'm pretty sure that at that time P7s had an external ring reinforcement at the bottom of the head tube, but C16Rs didn't.

The chances that someone put the wrong sticker on by mistake are a lot bigger than the factory using the wrong tubeset on a single frame, wouldn't you say?

Anthony":3a5cn3ua said:
I have never seen that colour before, so I would assume that it is a respray - in which case, I would ignore the assorted stickers that are on there.

I'm pretty sure that at that time P7s had an external ring reinforcement at the bottom of the head tube, but C16Rs didn't.

I've had a look through the PDF Catalogues from 94/95/96, on the forum and on some of the 'Action Shots' you can see riders on Golden/Bronze bikes.....Im now swaying towards it being a C16R from 95? As that looks closest to the one i have, The stickers are a mess, although the Series 8 Tubing Decal looks original, but maybe an addition by the previous owners. The spec is a mixed bag but a good starting block to proceed with. :)

Back