Dilemmas dilemmas (opinions wanted)

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I was just sitting around here and thinking (and supposed to be at work actually). I have a few retrobikes now... and I also have this Scott Scale 20. I upgraded it a bit. You know, put some X.0 on, lighter (DT240s) wheels, almost all WCS stuff etc. But the problem is (or maybe isn't): I bought this one in 2005 (september) and now that I have these retrobikes that I wanna use, I don't think I'll be using the Scale too much anymore. Well, it's had about 500miles anyhow until now.

So I was thinking:

1. Should I try and sell the whole bike? But then with all the upgrades and what it cost me (keeping in mind it only had 500miles and looks just about "unused") to get the bike this way, I feel somehow I'm ripping myself off by selling it...

2. Or maybe strip it and sell all the parts seperate and keep the frame? This way if I ever feel sorry, at least I have the frame (because that's what is worth most to me, especially with the uber-low useage). So I can then build it up again with some nicer parts.

3. Or maybe just not sell it at all, because if I have to think this hard about selling something it's probably gonna kick me in the b*tt once it's gone??

So how do you guys weigh up facts before selling something you're not sure about?? Of course it's personal, but this is going through my mind now for about a week or 2. One way I could use the cash (for building up a nice Zaskar to use and complete my collection), the other way it's a very very beautiful bike and I fell in love with it first time I saw it standing in the shop! So this is really a dilemma for me... I don't wanna regret doing something I shouldn't have done (had that going on more than enough in the past).

Thanks for all opinions to help me enlighten myself ;-)

Void(EN12-82)

I dont like opening cans of worms but here goes.
My bike became retro because it worked and never let me down,parts wasn`t replaced for the same reason and xtrm900 BECAME retro as did my fat,I dont have a modern bike because i have no funds,but if like back in the 90`s if it worked it would stay.
My point is bikes are for riding if you like it,keep it, dont sell just so you own another retro steed, if you prefer the retro style then fine,but modern bikes are good to,
And you`ll get more for it in pieces than as a whole

Like monsterfatuk said, all parts apart are more expensive than a whole bike. So if ou would sell it, take it apart and sell the parts. You could consider to keep the frame, and if you can get a nice price for it also sell it.
I'm not very good at selling this I like. I still have my GT LTS and would never sell it, it was too expensive and it has got a long story. I stripped the bike a time ago and sold most of the parts, bought new parts and gave it a nice update. All together is hardly cost me anything.

But isn't it one of the great advantages of retro bikes that, whereas all new bikes cost getting on for twice what they're worth and to that extent are a partial waste of money, what you spend on retro should be about what the thing is worth, provided you spend wisely?

So I'd say forget what the Scale cost you - about half of it is gone, but that's history, so now all you need to worry about is which do you want most - a Scale or a Zaskar?

But if you're truly obsessed, you'll have both of course.

Anthony":3e39lv54 said:
But if you're truly obsessed, you'll have both of course.

Uhm, yeah and that's the problem actually :) I would hate to see my Scale go because it is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden, absolutely!! And there is one advantage of the bike: carbon don't corrode hehe ;-) Seriously, in real muddy and crappy conditions I'd rather use this bike than i.e. my newly acquired KLEIN or any future Zaskar. And because it's equipped with carbon parts they don't rust/corrode either.

Hmmm... yeah thanx for the help guys! I've decided I will keep it now... and of course keep upgrading (because that ugly silver Fox has te be replaced with some white fork).

DILEMMA AVERTED! :D :shock: :twisted: :cool:

go out with your mates on your favorite retro bike - if you can keep up or even better, beat them - the new bikes not needed.

wish someone had told me bikes can corrode! :LOL:

Attachments

• Real_Ale_Wobble_2007_032__Small_.jpg
    Real_Ale_Wobble_2007_032__Small_.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,041
Back