When you see other members................

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
........................hareem of bikes, do you look at your own collection think, jammie b*st*rd - why can't I own summat like that :?

just a few examples -

main.php

IMG_1875a.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

Am I just ungrateful for what I do own :?:

do you look at your own collection think, jammie b*st*rd - why can't I own summat like that

nope.

if you want a bike that bad, you can get it, its just material stuff.

I am often deeply jealous of both where other people get to go riding locally (to them), and the amount of free time they get to do it in though.

theboy":adndgr34 said:
nope.

if you want a bike that bad, you can get it, its just material stuff.

Its finding the bloody material stuff thats difficult :evil:

theboy":adndgr34 said:
I am often deeply jealous of both where other people get to go riding locally (to them), and the amount of free time they get to do it in though.

Yep, know what ya mean - in retail meself and saturdays are mandatory :(

oh - and I can't drive either :(

hollister":ijw31pfp said:
2 collections im very envious of there.

i'd kill everyone in this room for that potts :oops:

wait a second, you've got my address :evil:

...but you know that we have VERY relaxed gun laws here in texas.

we are prepared to defend our property!

uss_texas_kids_35.jpg

;)

Carsten

True, money is at the heart of a truly built collection...but it really takes more than that. Anyone can throw a lot of money at a bike.

It takes patience. Being at the right place at the right time. It's who you know and where you live. Knowing when to go big, knowing how to network. Trades, flips, negotiations, the hunt.

Personally, finding and building a bike and the people you meet along the way make collecting as much fun as owning the bikes themselves.

rumpfy":z211divy said:
It takes patience. Being at the right place at the right time. It's who you know and where you live. Knowing when to go big, knowing how to network. Trades, flips, negotiations, the hunt.

thats the thing I suppose - here in the UK nice vintage stuff is very thin on the ground compared to the states, plus we don't have swap meets like you guys so we don't come accross as much nice stuff, If we did I think I would end up like the hoover if we did :roll: .

rumpfy":z211divy said:
Personally, finding and building a bike and the people you meet along the way make collecting as much fun as owning the bikes themselves.

Thrill of the chase you mean - Yep ya don't want it to come too easy I suppose, that would be boring - plus, I am always building stuff on a shoestring so a lot of waiting for the right price is involved :LOL:.

retrobikeguy":2lx3ailx said:
rumpfy":2lx3ailx said:

thats the thing I suppose - here in the UK nice vintage stuff is very thin on the ground compared to the states, plus we don't have swap meets like you guys so we don't come accross as much nice stuff, If we did I think I would end up like the hoover if we did :roll: .

rumpfy":2lx3ailx said:

Thrill of the chase you mean - Yep ya don't want it to come too easy I suppose, that would be boring - plus, I am always building stuff on a shoestring so a lot of waiting for the right price is involved :LOL:.

Don't give the Hoover too much credit, his ego will grow too much. :p

And yes, we are very lucky to have local swap meets and more to pull from here in the States.

Though I will say a great deal of vintage mtb's make their way over seas to the UK, Germany, Italy, Japan...and the black hole that is CycleShark.

eBay and the weak US dollar is to your advantage. We gots to have something going for us! :p

Shoestring budget just means it'll take longer. My Tomac Raleigh took six years of active searching.

Back