Your most memorable retro related memory of 2011

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Coming to the end of another year, so perhaps as well to bookend with some retro related memories from 2011. Perhaps a build, maybe a ride or two, whatever was significant for you as you don't need a good memory to make good memories

Photos good.

Waxing lyrical very good.

Sweet memories even better.

So, what will stay with you from 2011?

Piloting my 1950's fixed gear roadster around the single speed champs in Belgium much to the the incredulous amusement of a good cross section or Europe :LOL:

Didn't crash either :cool:

Has to be Mayhem for me Ed, so many highlights but one that sticks in my mind is my night lap with my front light on the blink it was dark dark dark lights on and woa ! narrowly avoiding a Bear pushing a bike down the rough down hill section...... :LOL:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/?p=1879

groupshot_1_211.jpg

As this is my first retro year.... I've got a few!

Positives:
1. Finding this site
2. Marc2Tone telling me about the Tequesta in Bradford cash converters - my heart was in my mouth as I drove there.
3. Riding the Tequesta for the first time and realising 20y old bikes are actually pretty good.
4. People recognising me on the 3 tribes meet in the Peaks - I was on a separate ride with my brother but was made very welcome
5. Someone gifting me £35 so I could keep my Flite saddle I was selling as I had made a huge mistake.....

Negatives
1. Finding this site...... you know what I mean!!
2. The pain I was in on the last hill on the Peaks ride. I was determined I'd do it all but I was nearly in tears with the pain.
3. Realising the GT was too small for me.

So much more I could add to be honest but I'll just start rambling if I go on too much...... Thanks all!

Stumbling across a very rare frame and forks then doing them justice with the complete build. Most satisfying RB build ever and it won BOTR at the FOD National meet.

Its got to be finding this site and completing my first build! More of a restoration really, but I am proud nonetheless!

Happy new year to you all, and may the money you make in 2012 be wisely spent on building more retro beauties :)

Mine all revolve around one bike strangely.
1. Getting a special mention on the PA at Mayhem for my Jamis Dakota.
2. Riding same Dakota on the first lap for retrobike team South, and some of the comments from people riding modern when being overtaken (only on the up-hills!) by a 24 year old bike ridden by a 37 year year old bloke.
3. Same Dakota winning BoTM in November :D

I for one am looking forward to attending more rides next year, and cant waith for Mayhem 2012

Perhaps predictably, all the good stuff for me revolves around the Retrobike rides, especially the National Series and Mountain Mayhem.
There is too much to list really, but plenty of great riding and even more laughter amongst some really good people.

I suppose a personal highlight was the Peaks ride, and the responsibility of making sure 56 riders made it round safe and happy. (Apart from the mental scars inflicted by EdEdwards of course.)

The only thing I didn't enjoy was the 11 hours of driving required for the Thetford ride.

I wouldn't have missed any of it though.

Top for me was the rebuild of the Vit into a 9.5kg lean machine following a fantastic repair of a crack that went three quarters round the seat tube/bottom bracket interface. Thanks to Enigma for the workmanship

Bottom for me was health related rather than retro; I've had to give up driving due to epilepsy. Then I spent 7 weeks this summer with a nasty soft tissue injury in my back which meant that I couldn't ride in Fuerteventura which was something I had been looking forward to all year :(

Back