loose freebody?

clockworkgazz

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I have removed my cassette to upgrade to a 8 speed but have found that the freebody moves much more than I think is normal.

My question is, can this be fixed by tightening with a 10mm hex allen key or is the freebody kaput?

I do not have a 10mm hex or I would not be asking :roll:

any help would be appreciated.

ta

wiggle the freehub if all of it moves including the centre and the bolt then do up the bolt,most probs its the frehub fu*ked because the axle stops the bolt comin loose,so when wiggled if just the outer moves away from the centre then it`s fu*ked,I need a new one and am watching hubs on ebay ,cycle shop will have a new one though

clockworkgazz":1gzqsdwk said:
I have removed my cassette to upgrade to a 8 speed

Is it a 7-speed freehub body? If so, the 8-speed cassette won't fit anyway! You can fit an 8-speed freehub body to a 7-speed hub but the axle will need respacing and the wheel redishing. A lot of faff (read expensive if done by your LBS) for one extra speed!
Sorry if I have misinterpreted you!
(Does sound like it's knackered either way though)
I have got some spare 7-speed (used) freehub bodies to keep people on the road! PM me!

Have to admit that I do not know if it is 7 speed or 8 speed freehub body, my guess is it is 7 speed- looks like the original (proflex 656).Looks like i need a new 7 speed cassette bugger.

thanks for the advice guys.

It has 3 spacers flush against the inside (hub-side) so I may have enough space for 8 speed.

I tightned up the freehub body with a newly purchased 10mm hex key and most of the play has been removed. Only a very small bit of movement but I can live with this.

More conserned with the problem of redishing the wheel if i put a 8 speed casette on, can you not just fit and ride or is this a real no-no?

Cheers

No need to redish the wheel if it's already an 8-speed freehub body. Only needed when changing the body from 7 to 8 because the whole hub will have to move to the left, consequently the rim will need to be dished to the right.

Back